Matriarch - staccato playing in paraphonic modes

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
chapelier fou

Re: Matriarch - staccato playing in paraphonic modes

Post by chapelier fou » Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:44 pm

Thanks for confirming.
Anyone wants to buy a second-hand Matriarch in France ?

sdwillingham

Post by sdwillingham » Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:13 pm

I understand the disappointment here. However, today I started wondering what the proper behavior should be for paraphonic playing. It seems like there are conflicting requirements and the firmware has to make an educated guess, which might require some delay.

For example, if I am holding down a bass pedal tone and playing block chords, organ-style, on top: I would like the chord notes to cut-off as soon as I lift my fingers. On the other hand, if I am playing percussive piano-style chords with no bass, I would want all the notes in the chord to remain active while the sound decays. If the firmware automatically cuts out tones as fast as I lift my fingers, then at best, the piano-style sound would end up with one note remaining while it decays.

This seems like a no-win situation for the firmware. Has anyone got an idea for how this could be made intuitive to “do the right thing” in these two situations? I’m thinking that maybe Moog’s implementation is to hold onto all notes for a period of time to see if the gate falls (keep all notes and decay) or the gate remains and fewer notes are pressed (then drop notes in the mixer). I guess they could add some global choices for behavior, but such parameters might get crazy to manage. And simple parameters would still not allow any mixed behavior.

It really does seem hard to define how a paraphonic synth should work in a natural manner!

jonmanness

Post by jonmanness » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:48 pm

If Moog can make the gate variable in a global setting then I'm all for it, but its current firmware setting makes it feel sluggish to play. It works great for me at 1.1.0 so I guess I'll just stay there until the next update.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:51 am

Agreed.
@sdwillingham, I need to think about your explanations/examples, as it's not super easy to figure out if there is a way to find a behavior that would suite any plotting style.
But, if there is no "perfect" solution between 2 behaviors, then I wouldn't mind having a Global Setting for this.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:57 pm

Bump.
Let me play short notes please :D

Synth.builder

Post by Synth.builder » Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:19 am

chapelier fou wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:57 pmLet me play short notes please :D
I don't think anyone from Moog actually reads this forum. Which is a shame.

Therefore, it will be worth e-mailing them. However, I have found that only about half of my e-mails are actually replied to, so you may have to keep trying.

I'm also still waiting for the filter tracking to work properly in all portamento modes, which currently it does not. It only works on the default glide setting.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:19 pm

Synth.builder wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:19 am Therefore, it will be worth e-mailing them.
I've tried the email way of course. I've got something like 10% of replies.
I even reached them by phone twice (from France) and had a 50/50 experience.
One person was really helpful, the other was just arrogant and unfriendly while I was struggling discussing in English, by the phone, which is kind of hard when it's not your native language.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:09 am

Almost a year since last firmware, in which they acknowledge the issue in the release notes.
That's nice to not deny the issue, but maybe time to fix it ?
Just saying...