Grandmother Dark constant background note

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
kinomood

Grandmother Dark constant background note

Post by kinomood » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:03 am

Hi!

I'm new here because I've bought a brand new Grandmother Dark.

I'll explain my perplexity: with volume pot set to zero, my GM always emits sound. A very low signal, but clearly audible.
Regardless of the long or short decay! The sound remain in background.
The problem don't exist if I put the headphones, but I think that depend from different impedance.
Even my DAW record the sound. It seems that the volume pot didn't cut the output signal completely.

So my question is: It's a physiological appearance for a Grandmother?

Someone know this issue/problem/bug/characteristic? :roll:

I've just execute the pot calibration procedure and a complete Osc calibration... but nothing!

Thanks all!

dct

Re: Grandmother Dark constant background note

Post by dct » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:34 pm

Having tried several analog synths (orlder and newer) over the past years, I realized this seems to be a common issue in analog heaven. Long time I thought this is a problem of my old cheap mixer board. But no: If I listen carefully, my GM has exactly the same problem.
It doesn't really bother me, because normally my dB on jamming are far more than this faint sound.
keys: CX-3 II, GRANDMOTHER, streichfett, ZEN DELAY

Sugar

Post by Sugar » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:29 pm

Are you sure that the sound you've been hearing is not an electrical hum?

kinomood

Post by kinomood » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:12 am

dct wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:34 pm Having tried several analog synths (orlder and newer) over the past years, I realized this seems to be a common issue in analog heaven. Long time I thought this is a problem of my old cheap mixer board. But no: If I listen carefully, my GM has exactly the same problem.
It doesn't really bother me, because normally my dB on jamming are far more than this faint sound.
Thanks for your impressions. Surely all analog instruments (guitars, etc.) presents bleeds through the circuits.
And I think that could be the same physiological "issue" of GM.

kinomood

Post by kinomood » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:14 am

Sugar wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:29 pm Are you sure that the sound you've been hearing is not an electrical hum?
Yes, I'm sure. No electrical hum from any Usb or sockets. Just tried!

Ted H

Post by Ted H » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:25 pm

I just heard this on my Grandmother also. But if I use headphones instead of running to my mixer, no noise. Doesn't sound like that's a GM issue, though no other instrument running to my mixer (Behringer Xenyx), has any underlying noise. Tried a different TS cable with no remedy.

Sugar

Post by Sugar » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:22 am

google "ground loop noise"

David P.

Post by David P. » Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:49 pm

I have this too. I sent mine back because of this. Then got another one with the same problem but worse, first one had that noise coming from osc 1 only, the second GM had that in both oscillators. It is the same problem and the same as you explained it to us. Plus when I turn my GM on you hear a small blurp of sound when it's powering on.

David P.

Post by David P. » Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:51 pm

It's like this, if you hit a high note on the keyboard then the noise sounds high pitch, if you hit a low then low pitch. That's the emitted background noise characteristics explained.

David P.

Post by David P. » Mon May 23, 2022 11:44 am

Just to follow up. I ended up solving this, and it is associated with a ground loop issue, the solution for me was to change from a Furman power strip which it was plugged into and plug it into the wall directly. Solved. Also a different power supply which Moog sends you solves it. It is a 2 prong instead of the standard power supply which comes with the GM. Contact Moog, explain your problem and they'll offer a replacement power supply. D