Matriarch Evenlopes Sustain turned down, still sending voltage

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
NicolaM

Matriarch Evenlopes Sustain turned down, still sending voltage

Post by NicolaM » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:04 am

Hi everyone!

Bought a Matriarch a couple of months ago and I'm super happy with it, but since it's my first analogue synth I don't know if this is an actual issue or just the normal behaviour of this kind of machines.

Anyway, I was trying to modulate the pitch via one of the envelopes (later I've tried both of them), doing so by patching ENV OUT to PITCH IN of osc 1.
The problem is that even with sustain at zero, pitch is still affected almost for a halftone up at the end of the envelope; if I take off the patch cable while playing a long note I can hear the note descending to its right pitch, when I connect it again I can hear the note going up, as the envelope couldn't help to send a small voltage even with all knobs turned down and sustain fader at zero.

Oscillators are calibrated, also pots are, the firmware installed is the latest.
Is this normal or there's something I can do about any further calibration, or what else?

Thanks!

chocolatyshatner

Re: Matriarch Evenlopes Sustain turned down, still sending voltage

Post by chocolatyshatner » Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:33 pm

BUMP! I'm having the same problem with my Matriarch. For instance, plugging either of the envelopes out into an oscillator pitch in will raise the pitch just shy of a semi-tone with the envelope inactive. It would be nice if the envelopes would output 0 volts until triggered. . . Anyone have a clue as to why this is happening or if there's a fix? Is this a problem for other Matriarch owners?

NicolaM

Post by NicolaM » Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:46 pm

Hi,
maybe the one we both experienced it's not a proper "bug", but a standard beahviour of analog envelopes.

I've just read this thread, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=35538&sid=6f103ca1 ... a477e22cf4
and maybe that "return to zero" feature (which is missing on Matriarch, as explained in the answer by Synth.builder) is the reason why Matriarch envelopes can't stand at 0 volts and then they generate by deafult a little raise of pitch when patched into an osc.
I guess it's part of the "analog deal".

Anyway, maybe the problem could be partially solved using an attenuverter, putting its OUT to the pitch of the osc, envelope OUT into CV IN of the attenuverter, instead of the IN, and putting the knob slightly under 12 o'clock (in order to balance the little voltage of the envelope and keep the osc in tune).

Sebastiangarst

Post by Sebastiangarst » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:05 pm

Hi

I just got the same "problem". i dont know if this is a bug or just the way it behaves.

Have you found out anything new on this subject?

Sebastian