Grandmother editable tuning scale (microtonal?)

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
Semi-mod

Grandmother editable tuning scale (microtonal?)

Post by Semi-mod » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:55 pm

Hi All, in the recent Grandmother firmware update v1.1.0 it lists a global parameter list for sysex editing that includes Tuning Scale (as listed in the update notes). I would love to have the ability to do alternate tunings of the Grandmother a la the Monologue/Minilogue.

How would I go about programming the Grandmother for microtonal tunings, via standard sysex editors and/or is there an editor in the works that would make this easy to do?

An important thing to note: I'd be using a Mac to do this. Also, I'm a total noob at dealing with sysex editing but I'm willing to get my hands dirty and learn... I'd just appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!

Semi-mod

Re: Grandmother editable tuning scale (microtonal?)

Post by Semi-mod » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:05 pm

ANyone?

calaverasgrande

Post by calaverasgrande » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:15 pm

I've only just bought a Grandmother last week.
So I'm still looking into the nooks and crannies of this synth.
If microtonal tunings are supported that is great!
Frequently when dealing with user editable microtonal scales, people use Scala
http://www.huygens-fokker.org/scala/
which gives you midi files which can be loaded to a microtonal capable instrument.
I've only just discovered that my Sequential OB6 has this capability. So I'm still getting up to speed on the installation requirements for a Mac. I'm guessing the PC install is more gentle.
Microtonics is a huge subject. I've been working my way through a few books on tunings. And am most interested in emulating baroque tunings which may give purer intervals at the expense of corrupting others.
Taurus III, Digitone, Dark Energy, OB6, MG1, Grandmother, Blofeld

Semi-mod

Post by Semi-mod » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:28 am

Thanks for that! I'll definitely look into Scala for getting microtuning happening on the GM.

My goal is working with Just Intonation intervals and getting the GM playing nice with microtuned Minilogue (so great that they put microtuning on that small poly!), for which I came up with a 32-note just intoned scale that nicely fits on these small keyboards.

lyralyralyralyra

Post by lyralyralyralyra » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:01 pm

Did you ever get this to work? I've tried changing the value for tuning scales via SYSEX but nothing happens. Just sent Moog an email asking about this too.