"Chonky" - Global Parameter Manager Software for Matriarch / Grandmother

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
moogy_j

"Chonky" - Global Parameter Manager Software for Matriarch / Grandmother

Post by moogy_j » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:11 pm

Hi all,

I’ve created “Chonky” - yet one more option for you to help manage your Matriarch / Grandmother Global parameters. I built it off the chassis of another program that I’ve developed previously. It’s currently Windows only. I’ve fully tested on my Matriarch and would like someone to confirm functionality on the Grandmother (I didn’t have one handy!).

I plan to add other synths to the list of supported options in the future (starting with my Model D!).

You can download for free at www.fuzzy-cat.com.

John

Chonky Synth Paramter Manager.jpg

The key features of Chonky:

- Parameter Editor / View – edit your synth parameters showing current / default values and parameter descriptions.
- Category and Name filtering – easily find any parameter by selecting a category or entering a portion of the parameter name.
- Midi Monitor – view the Midi data transmitted to and from your synth.
- Virtual Keyboard – use your QWERTY keyboard to remotely play your synthesizer.
- Save To File – save your synthesizer’s parameter settings to a standard Sysex file. This file is in a format that can be sent to your synthesizer via other Sysex software programs.
- Load From File – load your parameters from standard Sysex data files.
- Load From Synth – load the current synthesizer parameters to the Workspace.
- Send to Synth – send the current Workspace parameter values to your synthesizer.
- Set to Default – sets the Workspace to your synthesizer default values.
- Support for Multiple Synthesizers – Chonky currently supports multiple synthesizers with more coming!
- User Manual – access Chonky’s user manual available under the Help menu.
Last edited by moogy_j on Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FuzzyCat Software - Software tools for musicians - www.fuzzy-cat.com

"Chonky" - free global parameter manager software for the Moog Matriarch and Grandmother - www.fuzzy-cat.com/products

moogy_j

Re: "Chonky" - Parameter Manager for Matriarch / Grandmother

Post by moogy_j » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:50 am

Hi All,

Here is the link to download Chonky Parameter Manager for Matriarch / Grandmother:

https://www.fuzzy-cat.com/

Feedback welcome.

Enjoy!

John

"Chonky" - free global parameter manager software for the Moog Matriarch and Grandmother - www.fuzzy-cat.com/products

djrekd

Post by djrekd » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:39 am

This is great, it's nice to edit them all at once and have a visual representation of all the settings. I definitely appreciate the extra details you added as well, very helpful

Everything seems to be working fine with my Moog Grandmother as far as I can tell

Thanks for sharing!

moogy_j

Post by moogy_j » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:17 pm

djrekd wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:39 am This is great, it's nice to edit them all at once and have a visual representation of all the settings. I definitely appreciate the extra details you added as well, very helpful

Everything seems to be working fine with my Moog Grandmother as far as I can tell

Thanks for sharing!
Thanks for the feedback - glad that you are enjoying it!

If you could do me a favor - I would appreciate it. I want to confirm the Grandmother actual default settings are the same as are listed in the manual. For the Matriarch I had to tweak the default settings in Chonky to match what was coming back from the Matriarch vs. what was listed in the manual.

Could you - 1) save your current settings to a file, 2) use the key commands to set your Grandmother to defaults, 3) Load the settings to Chonky and save and send me that file? After that you can reload your current settings.

You can email it to [email protected].

John

MrBlue

Post by MrBlue » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:02 am

Hello John,
I realize that I have not yet thanked you for your software sharing... I have tested it and it works very well with my Matriach, I just need not use my DAW at the same time.
Thank’s a million to you for it,
Nicolas

ps: maybe you could add the group number for each parameter
ps2: Today Chonky works with open DAW... well
Music is emotion suspended in space and time
illustrasons

Markyboard

Post by Markyboard » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:20 am

I’m not sure if this is true for other DAWs but I found that just disabling the Matriarch track in Reaper (I.e. unselecting the track record button) makes the usb/midi port available for other programs.

MrBlue

Post by MrBlue » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:58 am

Even with the Matriarch track activated, chonky works today with my open DAW (Reason)

The sorting function is welcome, thank you...
illustrasons

Markyboard

Post by Markyboard » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:54 am

Does Chonky have midi thru functionality? I see note activity on the midi input monitor but nothing on the midi output monitor when I play the keys. Also if Chonky is open first and controlling the midi port Reaper does not recognize the Matriarch usb port (as expected). If Reaper is open first and controlling the midi port opening Chonky gives a nasty Microsoft .NET Framework error message .

moogy_j

Post by moogy_j » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:51 pm

Markyboard wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:54 am Does Chonky have midi thru functionality? I see note activity on the midi input monitor but nothing on the midi output monitor when I play the keys.
It doesn't currently. I really just created a simple Midi monitor so the user could see what is going back and forth to confirm things are communicating correctly. Chonky is designed to be in a loop with the synth - so it can send a request and receive the requested data back. Echoing the data would make a midi loop issue.

What are you trying to achieve? Maybe I could add an additional "Midi Through" port with an option to turn it On/Off and echo the incoming data to that port.
Markyboard wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:54 am Also if Chonky is open first and controlling the midi port Reaper does not recognize the Matriarch usb port (as expected). If Reaper is open first and controlling the midi port opening Chonky gives a nasty Microsoft .NET Framework error message .
Bug confirmed. I will add some additional error logic and ability to automatically set the saved midi port back to "None" so it will be able to work correctly.

John

Markyboard

Post by Markyboard » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:03 pm

Hi John and thanks for your attention.

I almost always operate with local keys off. If I want to confirm the parameter change is doing what I want (not just configuring correctly) it helps to be able to play the Matriarch keys without having to switch local on. The thru function should only be for channel data, not sys ex. This should Help avoid any midi loops.

Thanks for the bug fix and for creating this very convenient editor/monitor.

-Mark

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:20 pm

wow, this looks pretty amazing!

downloading, looking forward to trying it out

thanks!

moogy_j

Post by moogy_j » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:18 pm

ummagumma wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:20 pm wow, this looks pretty amazing!

downloading, looking forward to trying it out

thanks!
Great - let me know what you think!

moogy_j

Post by moogy_j » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:09 am

MrBlue wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:02 am Hello John,
I realize that I have not yet thanked you for your software sharing... I have tested it and it works very well with my Matriach, I just need not use my DAW at the same time.
Thank’s a million to you for it,
Nicolas

ps: maybe you could add the group number for each parameter
ps2: Today Chonky works with open DAW... well
You're welcome Nicholas. I'll look into adding the Group number in a future release.

Enjoy!

MrBlue

Post by MrBlue » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:40 pm

Great !
Do you wante a french translation ?
illustrasons

moogy_j

Post by moogy_j » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:00 pm

MrBlue wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:40 pm Great !
Do you wante a french translation ?
Maybe! I've been getting downloads from all over the world. Everything is configuration file driven so it is possible to have multiple languages. If the number of downloads keeps growing, it may make sense. I'll let you know...

John