Matriarch 1.2.0 and 1.2.1 Firmware, deactivate ARP/SEQ after MIDI input

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
penguinrock

Matriarch 1.2.0 and 1.2.1 Firmware, deactivate ARP/SEQ after MIDI input

Post by penguinrock » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:49 am

Issue found with Matriarch 1.2.0 and 1.2.1 firmware:

If I run a MIDI sequence to the synth from my DAW, then stop running it and/or disconnect the cable, the synth will NOT operate its own arpeggiator/sequencer at all.

I can pluck around on the keys as usual, but I have to turn the power off and then back on again to use the sequencer--before MIDI input makes it unusable again.

1.2.0 and 1.2.1 firmware both have the same problem. I went back to 1.1.0 firmware and this issue does not exist on that version. Please fix.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Separate issue: In 1.2.0/1.2.1, the options for 4.7 Sequence Random Repeat appear to be swapped. Manual says ALLOW REPEATS (C0), DO NOT ALLOW REPEATS (D0), but it appears to me that these are actually reversed in the firmware--C0 causes "do not allow repeats", D0 allows repeats. Can anyone else confirm?

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Matriarch 1.2.0 documentation typo: 4.8 MIDI OUT Filter - Panel Knobs parameter mentions Grandmother.

Dr Burgh

Re: Matriarch 1.2.0 and 1.2.1 Firmware, deactivate ARP/SEQ after MIDI input

Post by Dr Burgh » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:20 pm

Having the same issue with my Matriarch after upgrading to 1.2.1.
Moog lover.

hudri

Post by hudri » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:40 am

Just a wild guess: Could it be related to MIDI clock? Parameter 1.5 Receive Midi Clock is on by default. If the DAW sends a MIDI clock while playing, Matriarch will sync to it (Arp clock led blinking green). When the clock is no longer received (DAW stops sending or Midi disconnected), the Arp clock will no longer advance (no blinking, neither red nor green) and Arp/Seq do not play.

You could try disabling Parameter 1.5 Receive Midi clock to check if this is really the cause.

Edit: I tested it some more, there seem to be two issues in firmware 1.2 causing this:
1. If you have Follow Midi clock switched on, and then the Midi clock is removed (cable disconnected etc.), the Arp/Seq does not get any clock, and does not play. There seems no way out (except Off-On).
2. If you have Follow Midi Start/Stop switched on, and a Midi STOP is sent, the Arp/Seq is disabled and does not play (even though the clock led is blinking). Off-On again.

Firmware 1.1.0 behaves differently in both situations:
1. If the Midi clock vanishes, it switches back to local clock automatically.
2. After a Midi STOP, it disables the Arp/Seq just like 1.2, but it can be re-enabled by toggling the PLAY key off-on.

Seems Moog really needs some help in the firmware department, and also in the testing department...

Markyboard

Post by Markyboard » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:28 pm

Confirmed here as well. Not sure why my start/stop messages aren't working. Could be a Reaper configuration issue. I assume these toggle the play button on the Matriarch? I do have the clock input set to FOLLOW MIDI CLOCK + MIDI START/STOP COMMANDS.

TMav

Post by TMav » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:25 pm

Same here. I went back to 1.1.0 immediately after updating to 1.2.0.

karth0908

Post by karth0908 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:35 pm

Was there ever an official fix for this? I have the same issue on the latest firmware. Once using an external midi start stop it breaks the synths internal arp/seq so I have to power it off and on again to use the keyboard normally.

Firmware 1.1 works, but it bothers me that I have to use an old firmware to get around this. Will a fix be coming?