Matriarch: Parameter Switching

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
hudri

Matriarch: Parameter Switching

Post by hudri » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:38 am

Hi, because Moog finally gave us the ability to change Global Parameters via MIDI, I wrote a program to do just that:
This is a first test pre-release, but it can
  • fetch and store parameters from/to Matriarch
  • reset parameters to default
  • export parameters to sysex files that can later be downloaded to Matriarch
  • import parameters back from these sysex files
  • work with a MIDI connection to Matriarch, or standalone without connection (Simulation)
Still Todo:
  • Parameter descriptions and grouping
  • Tidy up source code and publish it (probably on github, MIT style license)
  • fix bugs...
This first version can be downloaded from https://www.mailuefterl.com/download/Ma ... encies.jar. MD5 checksum is 243c2f73520e9edb8cebdbf7c9c04966.
The program is written in java and should be able to run on Linux, Windows and Mac (untested). Java runtime must be installed, at least version 8 (11 or newer recommended for HiDPI screens).

Please test it and let me know what you think. Of course the usual disclaimers apply: I cannot be held responsible if anything bad happens with your computer or Matriarch (but mine still work as before).

As expected, I have also found some bugs in the new firmware V1.2.0:
  • Message format for parameter reply from Matriarch is not as documented (missing Unit-ID byte)
  • The parameters give access to some settings that reflect the state of panel buttons (Osc sync, Delay sync etc.), but when sending them to Matriarch, not all of them are directly visible: For example when Delay sync is switched on via Midi, the time-LED blinks green, but the button does not light up.
  • Some settings seem very dangerous to change via MIDI: For example you can disable MIDI transmit or receive. I grouped these parameters in the group "Danger Zone".
Have fun,
Christoph

hudri

Re: Matriarch: Parameter Switching

Post by hudri » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:32 pm

Hi,
the project is now on https://github.com/mailuefterl-sro/MatriarchSwitch (Source code and info),
binary can be downloaded from releases/download/v0.1.0/MatriarchSwitch-0.1.0.jar.

The parameter definitions have now descriptions from the manual added (except for 2 which I could not figure out).
USB Midi works OK, connecting the Matriarch with DIN MIDI does not work due to a firmware bug (workaround: enable Transmit MIDI Clock).

I would really appreciate feedback on it.

Regards,
Christoph

alexone

Post by alexone » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:57 am

Great!! :wink:

MrBlue

Post by MrBlue » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:42 pm

It doesn’t work, the Matriarch is connected by a usb cable.
When I click to retrieve the settings, the data is not accurate. When I want to send changes they are not taken into account.

log :
19:43:07.185 Unable to use MIDI OutPort Moog Matriarch, External MIDI Port: javax.sound.midi.MidiUnavailableException: There is not enough memory available for this task. Quit one or more applications to increase available memory, and then try again.
19:43:07.190 Unable to use MIDI InPort Arturia KeyStep 32, No details available: javax.sound.midi.MidiUnavailableException: There is not enough memory available for this task. Quit one or more applications to increase available memory, and then try again.
19:43:07.194 Unable to use MIDI InPort Moog Matriarch, No details available: javax.sound.midi.MidiUnavailableException: There is not enough memory available for this task. Quit one or more applications to increase available memory, and then try again.
Music is emotion suspended in space and time
illustrasons

hudri

Post by hudri » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:58 am

Hi MrBlue,
you are running on Windows, right? The error message is misleading: When googling it, it points to the device being in use by another program. Please try again, with other applications closed, and browser tabs closed that could access Midi.
When MatriarchSwitch cannot open a Midi Port, it defaults to the "No physical unit (Simulation)" mode, which displays the default settings and ignores changes.

I have also been made aware that it does not work on macOS (java Midi port ignoring all Sysex messages). With a replacement lib it works fine on macOs and Linux, but has subtle side effects on Windows. Will create a new version when this is ironed out.

MrBlue

Post by MrBlue » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:40 am

Thank's to you, yes I use Windows, I’ll try again tonight...

It’s okay now, I didn’t turn on the DAW and the software recognized the Matriarch: "Matriarch unit 00"
Great Job

However, the Matriarch does not want the Round Robin mode On! :cry:
illustrasons

hudri

Post by hudri » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:53 am

New release v0.9.1 is available at https://github.com/mailuefterl-sro/Matr ... h/releases:
  • Now works on macOs too
  • Refreshes MIDI interfaces automatically when something is plugged/unplugged
MrBlue wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:40 am However, the Matriarch does not want the Round Robin mode On! :cry:
and
  • Fixed parameter-definition for Round-Robin-Mode:On (thanks for telling me, was a copy-paste error)

MrBlue

Post by MrBlue » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:14 pm

Great... thank's again you're a genius :wink:
illustrasons

kmjansenNCSU

Post by kmjansenNCSU » Tue May 24, 2022 5:16 pm

This was exactly what I needed -- thank you so much. Java has come a long way since my college days when I last saw it (although I know it's running a lot of things behind the scenes)!