Matriarch : Please let us access to "Globals" via MIDI

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
chapelier fou

Matriarch : Please let us access to "Globals" via MIDI

Post by chapelier fou » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:19 pm

Hi there, first post, so, hello !

I just wrote to the support as I'm so frustrated by the "Globals". I'm curious to know what you guys think. Here's a summary of my mail :

"I recently acquired a Matriarch, I love it.
But the "Globals" settings are a nightmare. I sincerely think that they all should be able to be set via MIDI messages. Conversely, we should be able to make a MIDI dump of all the Globals so we could "read" the state of the synth.
I personally would need to change some of the settings quite often (like the round-robin mode in my case), but it's practically a massive pain. I'd almost wish I didn't know they existed : I wouldn't be so frustrated.
Please, release an editor, or at least make the Globals accessed via MIDI. That would make this marvelous synth really shine. I even dream of making some Teensy-based box to store "configs" and quickly recall them.
"

chapelier fou

Re: Matriarch : Please let us access to "Globals" via MIDI

Post by chapelier fou » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:03 am

Any opinions ? I can't see how someone could be satisfied with the way you access these settings....

syntheticmotion

Post by syntheticmotion » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:39 pm

Yeah. It's rough. Since I received mine, I even found a few settings that were not on factory default that I never changed. I don't feel like taking a whole afternoon to manually execute a factory reset.

This is my first Moog and I love it, but if I'm completely honest, I've been a little unimpressed by the support since I bought it. I had an unanswered query early on, and there are obviously things that need patching, with nothing seemingly on the horizon.

stefk

Post by stefk » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:55 am

chapelier fou wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:03 am Any opinions ? I can't see how someone could be satisfied with the way you access these settings....
I posted a similar email to moog support in August 2020.
Their reply was :
"There isn't a send sysex feature in the Matriarchs firmware."

I am not sure if that means that :
a) a new "[send]" will never be able to be included/introduced in new firmware releases ? -
b) a ["send"] feature may be an option in future firmware.

I am totally shocked, that a synth (even an analog beauty like the Matriarch) that already has midi and usb built into its hardware architecture does not feature a "SEND/dump" backup feature?

syntheticmotion

Post by syntheticmotion » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:12 pm

Looks like they fixed that, and most of my other issues with the latest patch. Looking forward to testing tonight.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:12 am

There are still a few bugs with sysex as they are described in the release notes.

Here is what I spotted so far :

- Delay Mode (param 50) can't be changed
- Multi Trig can't be changed
- noise filter default is min and not max
- when you change any "toggle button" (like Sync Enable, Osc Sync) then you have to push it twice on the panel to toggle it off.

hudri

Post by hudri » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:21 am

Hi, some comments and additions from my mail to Moog on October 1st. Reaction? Zilch.
  • Sysex message format for parameter reply differs from documentation, missing the unit-id field. Makes it more difficult to auto-detect all Matriarchs on a Midi chain.
  • Parameter replies do not work via DIN-Midi (response is delayed until another message is being sent)
  • No way to find current firmware version via Sysex, makes it hard to find out whether a specific parameter is suported or not (e.g. parameter 5.2 introduced in V1.2.3)
  • Wrong default settings in documentation for 0.8, 2.6, 2.7, Local control:Panel
  • Settings that are not really global parameters, but reflect the current state of the panel buttons (Delay sync, Delay pingpong, Multitrig etc.) are more complicated: In original firmware, they were only used to store the current setting so that it stays after a reboot. You will find that if you change any of these via Sysex, then switch the Matriarch off and on, the new setting will take effect. Some of them even take effect immediately (e.g. Delay, Multitrig) but the LED is not updated. A few of them even work as expected (e.g. Osc sync).
Having some bugs after a product release or big software changes is normal. With Moog, it just feels that they abandon a product as soon as it is released, and bugs are not fixed anytime soon (if at all). Very frustrating.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:29 am

Yeah, I'm amazed how bad it's implemented.
I bought the Matriarch, thinking "well, they didn't release an editor yet, but it will come soon, it's too obvious".
Then they made the sysex access to globals, I thought, "I'll make my own editor". Then found all the bugs (in addition to the other ones).
Feels like an M-Audio piece of crap.

joshsquashuk

Post by joshsquashuk » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:10 pm

Apparently this editor helps ...but I can't work out how to use :/

https://github.com/mailuefterl-sro/MatriarchSwitch

dangerous

Post by dangerous » Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:36 am

joshsquashuk wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:10 pm Apparently this editor helps ...but I can't work out how to use :/

https://github.com/mailuefterl-sro/MatriarchSwitch
Just plug your matriarch into your computer and go to https://mreid.github.io/matriarch-editor/ using Chrome

jochemsmaal

Post by jochemsmaal » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:56 am

Wow well done on the online editor! Also the max4live on works great!