Matriarch Midi Velocity

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
M-Prod

Matriarch Midi Velocity

Post by M-Prod » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:28 am

Does anyone know if the matriarch responds to midi velocity? I don't seem to be able to affect anything with midi (usb) velocity. I kind of think this is as designed, since there is way to map midi velocity to anything. If I connect the (internal) kb vel to e.g. the filter it works, but only local. This does not seem to translate to the midi velocity.
Is this as designed or is there a way to control parameters with midi velocity?

Markyboard

Re: Matriarch Midi Velocity

Post by Markyboard » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:46 pm

It does not. I reported this months ago and am hoping for a fix along with the velocity curve generated by its own keys. We'll see.

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:17 pm

It seems to be working fine on firmware 1.2.1 which was released last week. Didn't try it earlier, though
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

Markyboard

Post by Markyboard » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:04 am

Thanks for the reply Bichuelo but I don't think it works. Are you trying velocity from a controller other than the Matriarch? It's easy to think the velocity is happening with local off when in fact it's still responding directly to the Matriarch's KB CV.

Btw I did try it again before updating yesterday just to confirm some of these changes.

Markyboard

Post by Markyboard » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:16 am

Ahh...correction and maybe new bug. Velocity works via midi but only from the ARP velocity jack and when the new global 5.1 ARP/SEQ CV OUT Mirrors KB CV is enabled. Velocity over midi however does not does not respond from the rear panel jack. Weird.

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:15 pm

I haven't tried using the arpeggiator's Vel out, I used the KB Vel on the back to Cutoff 1 and used Ableton's Push as a controller. MIDI over USB, have yet to try with a DIN cable from my soundcard
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

Markyboard

Post by Markyboard » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:26 pm

Hmm, interesting. I’m using a Kurzweil PC3x as a controller thru Reaper. I also chose cutoff 1 as a destination using the rear kB velocity at first. Got nothing. As I said It did respond to velocity using the ARP velocity jack. Will have to investigate some more. Maybe another global param is at play here?

Edit- also using usb.

Markyboard

Post by Markyboard » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:40 pm

Ok- I think I got it. Try turning midi local (keyboard) off - global 1.7. If its off then midi velocity does not work via the rear panel jack.

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:07 pm

Indeed, as soon as I turned Local to Off, the velocity out on the back stopped working. It stays on the highest voltage/value

And yes, when the new 5.1 global setting mirrors the velocity, that output sends the velocity properly

I also did the test with a MIDI cable with the same result

Markyboard

Post by Markyboard » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:31 am

Thanks for confirming Bichuelo. For the record when local keys is off (global 1.7) the rear panel KB velocity CV is based on whatever velocity value was generated last from the Matriarch keyboard.

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:10 pm

Thanks for pointing it out Mark, I see that it does increase what could be around 1 volt based on the last value the unit send before turning local to off, and it does not change at all

Sundevil

Post by Sundevil » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:35 am

"There is a bug on the latest firmware revisions that prevents the Matriarch from sending MIDI data through some of the rear panel CV jacks. There is no ETA at this time, but our engineers are aware of the issue and working hard on the future firmware update that corrects this behavior.”
— Moog Support

The temporary ‘fix’ is to download firmware V1.1.0.

:twisted:

charliejone

Post by charliejone » Fri May 05, 2023 6:01 am

The Moog Matriarch synthesizer does respond to MIDI velocity, but it is up to the user to assign fnf the MIDI velocity to a specific parameter. To assign MIDI velocity to a different parameter on the Matriarch, you can use Matriarch's modulation matrix.

phatfinger.eth

Post by phatfinger.eth » Sat Jun 17, 2023 2:18 pm

@charliejone Would you care to be more specific? Im trying to get this to work.

Magpel

Post by Magpel » Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:29 am

It's funny; I have been treating the Matriarch as a pre-MIDI instrument for this first year of ownership--kinda going with the flow of no presets, etc., But I recently decided to get it MIDI'd up and sync'd up and digitally integrated. So far so god except for this issue. This lack of response to MIDI velocity is HUUUUGE deal! I would consider this a code red issue, Moog.