Matriarch Pulse Width AMT

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
src053

Matriarch Pulse Width AMT

Post by src053 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:14 am

Hi All,
I'm new to synth and am trying to wrap my head around the Pulse Width Amt know on the matriarch. In theory this knob should change the duty cycle of the square or narrow pulse forms. But on the matriarch it seems to be dependent on the Rate knob. Can someone help me understand how I could just isolate the PW without bringing in any of the other Mod modules?
Regards,

stiiiiiiive

Re: Matriarch Pulse Width AMT

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:49 am

Hi src053 and welcome to the forum.

I don't have any Matriarch but I'm trying an answer.

The PULSE WIDTH AMOUNT knob is in the modulation section, meaning it determines the amount of this modulation routed to the pulse witdh. That's why it depends on the RATE setting: the LFO is the modulation source, I guess.

If you want to set the pulse width manually, I guess you will have to drive the PWM input of the oscillators with some sort of constant voltage. Check the manual but I wonder if the Attenuators do that when used with no input.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:57 am

From the manual:
NOTE: The Utilities (1) module contains two Attenuators that can act independently, or together in a cascade fashion. In most cases, you will want to patch in and out of each Attenuator separately. However, if no connection is made to the OUTPUT jack of Attenuator 1, the output of Attenuator 1 will be summed with the output of Attenuator 2, and a mixed signal of both outputs will be available via the Attenuator 2 OUTPUT jack.
In this case, both Attenuators can be used together as a type of voltage-controlled bipolar mixer. Connecting a control signal to the CV IN jack of either Attenuator will act to control the balance of the mixed Attenuator 1 and Attenuator 2 signal available at the OUTPUT jack of Attenuator 2.

TIP: Each Attenuator input is normalled to an 8-Volt DC source. With no connections made to the INPUT jack and the OUTPUT jack of Attenuator 1, adjusting the ATTENUATOR knob of Attenuator 1 will affect the final output signal of Attenuator 2. Connecting a patch cable to the OUTPUT jack of Attenuator 1 will prevent the output of Attenuator 1 from reaching Attenuator 2.
Worth trying!

src053

Post by src053 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:32 am

thank you stiiive!
I will try patching the attenuator to the PWM in and experiment.