Upgrading Mother 32, my experiences.

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
stuka87

Upgrading Mother 32, my experiences.

Post by stuka87 » Mon May 04, 2020 10:20 am

Hi
It was with excitement and some trepidation that I set about upgrading my 3 M32s to version 2. Having watched the video and not having a Mac, I downloaded Bome Send SX to transfer the Sys Ex files from my PC, unzipped from the Moog download folder.
I connected my PC laptop via USB to my old M-Audio Fast Track Pro interface and then connected the Midi out to the Midi in of my first M32.
With everything powered on I loaded Send SX and opened the first SysEx file "Mother 2 Erase Firmware". Clicking on 'send' caused the appropriate lights to flash as in the video, phew! Sending the same file again as per instructions everything went as anticipated, so far so good.
Next I loaded the second SysEx file "Mother 32 Firmware V2", I again clicked on Send and the Red Midi light came on and then horror of horrors, the light just stayed on! no flashing, nothing! Then even worse, I got a blue screen of death on the PC! Panicking, I didn't read the error message, I just waited, eventually the PC restarted having sent a report to Microsoft automatically. By now I was sweating, thinking I'd bricked my first Mother!
Having calmed down and not having touched the M32 who's Midi light was still on solid red, I reloaded SendSX, opened the V2 firmware file again and clicked on send, holding my breath! This time perfect! Everything flashed as it should according to the video. When the M32 got to it's ready state I started the sequencer and Joy of Joys all the new directional functions worked perfectly. Now confident, I upgraded the other two Mothers without a hitch, no BSOD this time. Now I have 3 upgraded M32s all working perfectly. No idea what caused the PC to crash, probably some recent MS upgrade??
Either way all is now well. My advice is, keep the Mother on till the upgrade is complete even if an issue occurs. Hope this helps. Good Luck and Good Fun.

AlwaysCrashing

Re: Upgrading Mother 32, my experiences.

Post by AlwaysCrashing » Tue May 12, 2020 6:53 am

I updated mine and all seemed well. next day when I tried to programme a sequence I couldn't seem to prime it or record the sequence. There is no factory reset so, at the moment anyway, the sequencer is useless. Grrrrrrrrr