Moog Matriarch and MIDI junk recording

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
tapekiller

Moog Matriarch and MIDI junk recording

Post by tapekiller » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:50 am

Hi, I'm a proud owner of a Moog Matriarch, which I'm using also as MIDI device for my DAW.
I'm noticing that every time I trigger aftertouch or as soon as I use the modwheel/pitch bend a lot of other MIDI parameters start going crazy.
I've tried filtering program change and limit my input to only channel 1 (since these end with "Channel 0" I figured that would help) but so far I've had no luck.
This is a clip with the relative names and automations that have been recorded

Has anyone had the same problem, and if so is there any solution for it?

Markyboard

Re: Moog Matriarch and MIDI junk recording

Post by Markyboard » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:00 pm

Yes, confirmed and I'm fairly certain Moog is aware of it.

bfrombmore

Post by bfrombmore » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:02 pm

I too am having this issue. I noticed it when using the Matriarch to play other MIDI synths and random parameters on the other synths (Roland Integra 7 and DSI Prophet '08) would just change, particularly after engaging the mod and pitch wheels on the Matriarch. I then hooked up the Matriarch to a midi monitoring software and confirmed that there are junk midi messages being sent from the Matriarch during a single pass of the mod and pitch wheels. This makes it nearly impossible to use as a MIDI control keyboard for use with a DAW. I hope Moog fixes this.

MrBlue

Post by MrBlue » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:29 pm

I just did the test with my Micromonsta, same observation, the keyboard is unusable as a control keyboard for another synthesizer.
Music is emotion suspended in space and time
illustrasons

8ACE

Post by 8ACE » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:40 pm

Same here. I'm very disappointed in my first Moog's inability to behave correctly after being on the market for over a year.

When playing the lower half of the keyboard I often see MIDI CC for its own Square LFO Polarity (MIDI CC 90, value 64) and Noise HP Filter MIDI CC 9, value 0), plus spurious MIDI events when I rotate the Delay Spacing knob.

I won't be buying Moog again until they convince me the quality matches the pricing

thee

Post by thee » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:24 pm

i just discovered this after posting on the sequential forum. i sent in a "comment" mail to moog & this wasn't fixed in the most recent firmware update and attached this post. Has anyone had any luck resolving this?

rmr

Post by rmr » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:24 am

You can filter the junk midi with one of these until it gets fixed in firmware...

http://midisolutions.com/prodepp.htm

bfrombmore

Post by bfrombmore » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:57 am

thee wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:24 pm i just discovered this after posting on the sequential forum. i sent in a "comment" mail to moog & this wasn't fixed in the most recent firmware update and attached this post. Has anyone had any luck resolving this?
No Luck here. My Matriarch is still sitting on a shelf by its lonesome. This is extremely disappointing. I really hope they fix this.

bfrombmore

Post by bfrombmore » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:07 am

bfrombmore wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:02 pm I too am having this issue. I noticed it when using the Matriarch to play other MIDI synths and random parameters on the other synths (Roland Integra 7 and DSI Prophet '08) would just change, particularly after engaging the mod and pitch wheels on the Matriarch. I then hooked up the Matriarch to a midi monitoring software and confirmed that there are junk midi messages being sent from the Matriarch during a single pass of the mod and pitch wheels. This makes it nearly impossible to use as a MIDI control keyboard for use with a DAW. I hope Moog fixes this.
The 1.20 update fixed it! Great job Moog!!