Issue with swing on Mother-32 when externally synced

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
MrSkruff

Issue with swing on Mother-32 when externally synced

Post by MrSkruff » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:22 pm

I'm seeing an issue with the swing control on the Mother-32 acting as though it is quantised when the Mother-32 is being externally tempo synced. If feels like I can't set anything between 60% and 68% swing which is quite a big jump. This is quite obvious when you're trying to match swing values with another sequencer (eg. Ableton Live).

The quantising issue seems to only happen when the M32 is being externally synced. Running from it's internal clock I have more control over the swing value.

In addition to that I've found at some positions the swing is not being applied consistently, so every 4 bars or so it plays an 'unswung' pair of notes.

The only workaround I've found is to use the 'tempo single clock advance mode' rather than midi sync from my Keystep, and use the Keystep to specify the swing, though this has other reliability issues.

Has anyone else run into this?

MrSkruff

Re: Issue with swing on Mother-32 when externally synced

Post by MrSkruff » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:14 pm

So this appears to have been addressed with the firmware 2.0 update which is great.

I am however seeing another problem. I'm midi synced to Ableton, and what I'm noticing is the sequence is started out of sync when the swing value is increased. So with a swing amount at zero, the sync works as expected. If I increase the swing and restart the sequence it's off by a beat from Ableton.

Anyone else seeing this?

MrSkruff

Post by MrSkruff » Fri May 01, 2020 11:21 am

I spoke to Moog support and this new issue is the same as the one described at the end of the firmware 2.0 manual. So hopefully once this is fixed I’ll be all good.

rdomain

Post by rdomain » Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:57 pm

I seem to have the same issue with shuffle not working when tempo is synced to the LFO. Doesn't seem to make any effect at all. As soon as I clock it internally, all is fine.