Matriarch output - is TS instrument cable OK?

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
bedrock

Matriarch output - is TS instrument cable OK?

Post by bedrock » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:06 pm

Hi all! This may be a silly question but I'm hoping you can help me understand! I'm still learning about how some of this stuff works.

I've just bought a Matriarch and I'm loving it. The manual describes the line outputs on the back as BALANCED TRS. Is it okay to use UNBALANCED TS instrument cables here (like guitar cables)? I am running the line-outs of the Matriarch to two line-level +4db 1/4" inputs on the back of an RME Fireface UCX for recording into my DAW. The level on the interface is set to receive at +4db

Is this a healthy configuration? Do I NEED balanced TRS cables to get the appropriate signal, or will these TS instrument cables be sufficient to feed my interface line inputs? Do I have anything to gain by switching this to balanced inputs? I'm not running these cables at any length greater than 10 feet.

Thank you for your help! Any supplemental information about the electronics or what's going on technically would be appreciated as I learn more about how all this stuff works!

Markyboard

Re: Matriarch output - is TS instrument cable OK?

Post by Markyboard » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:10 am

Unbalanced cables are fine. Unless you're experiencing noise induced by RFI they'll be no noticeable difference. Either way it will not have any impact on your signal levels.

Makke

Post by Makke » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:33 pm

I accidentally bought a two-headed TS cable for the Matriarch, thinking it was proper stereo. There is some constant noise even though it's just a 1 metre cable. I suggest getting TRS, I'm gonna buy some soon too.

MrBlue

Post by MrBlue » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:43 am

:idea: RTFM
User's Manuel page 55 Main Outs
note : the MAIN OUT jacks will work with both TS or TRS 1/4" cables.
Music is emotion suspended in space and time
illustrasons

awi64

Post by awi64 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:48 am

I highly recommend NOT using TS ("mono") connections from the Moog Matriarch outputs to the next device in the processing chain.

No matter which environment I use the Matriarch in, there's always a lot of electrical hiss and noise present when I connect it 1:1 to any other processing gear (mixer, effects, ...). Another severe issue is that the VCA does not close the signal completely, which means you can still hear the oscillators bleeding in the background, even pretty noticeable. BTW, I have experienced the same problems with a SEQUENTIAL PROPHET REV2. These two synthesizers have by far the "dirtiest" output signal I've ever come across.

All these problems disappear completely with a passive DI box. The signal becomes clear and absolutely silent when no notes are played. In my case, a Radial Pro D2, using very short cables between Matriarch and the DI. The next stage is a mixer with balanced microphone level inputs.

pmumble

Post by pmumble » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:27 pm

Yeah use balanced. I had a ton of noise until I switched over. TS works until you can get them.