MATRIARCH - Filter Exploding

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
syntheticmotion

MATRIARCH - Filter Exploding

Post by syntheticmotion » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:02 pm

When I have my Matriarch in 4 voice paraphony mode, if I strike keys (usually chords) in too quick of succession, the filter cuts wide open, and sounds overdriven. It's as if it just sort of explodes if the filter envelope is triggered too many times in rapid succession.

Has anybody else experienced this?

matriarchy

Re: MATRIARCH - Filter Exploding

Post by matriarchy » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:44 pm

Greetings from the future. Sounds like you have tracking turned up, and probably some res as well. The filter can only track one note, but you are playing four. Whichever one it catches first is the one that will set the filter cutoff. This is one of the limitations of paraphony (vs polyphony), but it's fine once you are aware of it.

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:04 am

Indeed, filter tracking might be one of the reasons for the filter to "explode".

Additionally, the levels on the Matriarch's mixer should be set way below the middle so the oscillators are very clear for pads and polyphony in general, as opposed to using them stacked for massive leads and basses, where you want some of them to clip as another mean for waveform manipulation
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

syntheticmotion

Post by syntheticmotion » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:17 pm

While you are quite correct that tracking could cause a similar issue, that is not the case for this particular issue. I usually use no tracking for 4 voice paraphony. It sounds more like the cutoff opens all the way sometimes if enough keys were pressed in tight enough succession.

moogy_j

Post by moogy_j » Wed May 06, 2020 8:40 pm

Hi - could your issue be related to mine in this post?

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=34038

John
FuzzyCat Software - Software tools for musicians - www.fuzzy-cat.com

"Chonky" - free global parameter manager software for the Moog Matriarch and Grandmother - www.fuzzy-cat.com/products

syntheticmotion

Post by syntheticmotion » Thu May 07, 2020 11:03 am

Yes. This is the same issue I am experiencing. Your post describes it a bit more accurately.