Matriarch-midi automation on cutoff filter

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
OrestisP

Matriarch-midi automation on cutoff filter

Post by OrestisP » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:47 am

Maybe a very silly question but is there a way to automate the filter on matriarch using cubase ?
Any help will be very appreciated...

OoldFoogey

Re: Matriarch-midi automation on cutoff filter

Post by OoldFoogey » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:56 pm

If not by MIDI directly, then how about via a MIDI-CV converter?
Matriarch

Markyboard

Post by Markyboard » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:17 pm

OrestisP wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:47 am Maybe a very silly question but is there a way to automate the filter on matriarch using cubase ?
Any help will be very appreciated...
Connect the modwheel or after touch output to one or both of the VCF in jacks. Send CC1 (modwheel) or after touch from Cubase.

OrestisP

Post by OrestisP » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:31 am

Thanks a lot for your help....that was so simple and obvious...

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:03 pm

There isn't a CC control for cutoff up to now, however CC#9 can change the 1-pole highpass filter on the noise generator, something you can't do from Matriarch's own controls. Even on the advanced settings you are able to set it but not modulate it

If you check page 73-74 on the manual you will find several more CCs like this. I love moving the Arp Gate Length for instance; number 15. On the Subsequent 37 you can only move this one remotely as well, and it's really expressive!
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

allandbyallo

Post by allandbyallo » Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:24 am

Hey all. Gonna revive this thread.

I'm trying to set up a very simple Matriarch template on my Novation SL MKiii and have tried to assign pot 1 to send cc1, and physically patching the Moog's modwheel into cutoff 1. No lucko. It worked for a bit but sounded more like it was patched to VCF1... now it's not doing a damn thing.

Any ideas on how to simply make the Novation controller control filter cutoff, or what I may be doing wrong here?
Would also be happy using the Novation's modwheel for this, but that didn't work either.

I don't really know what MSB/LSB is, but somebody in a FB group suggested that could be an issue.
Attachments
176620011_2819102608344636_3115489576840318559_n.jpg

Markyboard

Post by Markyboard » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:00 pm

Hi Allan-

You're not doing anything wrong. In most cases the Matriarch does not route the assigned CCs to the hardware output jacks.

Instead those CCs are controlling the destination(s) through internal hardware connections. For example where the midi mapping document shows CC 1 controlling the mod wheel it is in reality only controlling the LFO amount routed to pitch, filter cutoff or pw as determined by the knob settings in the LFO section. It does not affect the rear panel Mod Wheel out jack. Same with velocity; only the Matriacrh keys affect the velocity out jack, It's not affected using midi.

I'm not sure if this was intentional or an oversight. But there is one exception - After Touch which does affect the output jack.
If you can set up your Novation to send AT using the mod wheel (or even just using the keys) hook up the rear panel AT jack to VCF 1 cutoff. Just tried it with my Kurz PC3x- works great.

allandbyallo

Post by allandbyallo » Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:04 am

thanks for the thorough response!
yeah after digging all over the internet i found the same answer in a couple places. but didn't think to assign the modwheel to AT. the AT on the keys do work. just not the most ideal way to control cutoff, relative to what i was trying to do. good for expressive playing, surely, but not for long form automation etc. thanks again! hopefully that's something firmware can fix, though i do get that it kinda contradicts the nature of the instrument, in a way. still think that should be up to the user though :D

Markyboard wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:00 pm Hi Allan-

You're not doing anything wrong. In most cases the Matriarch does not route the assigned CCs to the hardware output jacks.

Instead those CCs are controlling the destination(s) through internal hardware connections. For example where the midi mapping document shows CC 1 controlling the mod wheel it is in reality only controlling the LFO amount routed to pitch, filter cutoff or pw as determined by the knob settings in the LFO section. It does not affect the rear panel Mod Wheel out jack. Same with velocity; only the Matriacrh keys affect the velocity out jack, It's not affected using midi.

I'm not sure if this was intentional or an oversight. But there is one exception - After Touch which does affect the output jack.
If you can set up your Novation to send AT using the mod wheel (or even just using the keys) hook up the rear panel AT jack to VCF 1 cutoff. Just tried it with my Kurz PC3x- works great.