Matriarch Paraphony: Melody & Chords?

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
MaxFerency

Matriarch Paraphony: Melody & Chords?

Post by MaxFerency » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:08 pm

I was playing a Matriarch in a store today and I love the lush 4-note chords you can make. However, when I played a 3-note chord in the left hand and melody in the right hand it was hard to hear the melody above the chords. Is there a way to change a setting to make that sound good? Maybe a note priority setting or make it so an oscillator is always on top that you can turn up the volume for?
Max Ferency | http://maxferency.org | max [at] maxferency [dot] org
SYSTEM: macOS & Logic X Pro
GEAR: Matriarch, Sub 37, Korg SV-2, DFAM, MF Drive, MF Delay, MF Boost, Roland RC-202

MrBlue

Re: Matriarch Paraphony: Melody & Chords?

Post by MrBlue » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:17 am

Hi!
Yes there is a simple way, it is called a mixer!
Just increase the volume of the 4th oscillator and the trick is done.
Depending on the filter setting you can activate the multi trig for more clarity in the rendering.

happy new year 2020 to you
Music is emotion suspended in space and time
illustrasons

MaxFerency

Post by MaxFerency » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:02 pm

Awesome! Thanks!
GEAR: Matriarch, Sub 37, Korg SV-2, DFAM, MF Drive, MF Delay, MF Boost, Roland RC-202

Markyboard

Post by Markyboard » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:00 pm

MrBlue wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:17 am Hi!
Yes there is a simple way, it is called a mixer!
Just increase the volume of the 4th oscillator and the trick is done.
Depending on the filter setting you can activate the multi trig for more clarity in the rendering.

happy new year 2020 to you
How does that address this concern?
MaxFerency wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:08 pm IMaybe a note priority setting or make it so an oscillator is always on top that you can turn up the volume for?
I don't believe there's a way to control which oscillator is playing the upper notes or any other specific notes. Turning up the 4th oscillator might work if you play the chord first although I'm not even sure about this.

MrBlue

Post by MrBlue » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:28 pm

Markyboard wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:00 pmTurning up the 4th oscillator might work if you play the chord first although I'm not even sure about this.
Exactly, this is the advantage of paraphonic mode, when you press the keys on the keyboard, the first note pressed will play the 1st oscillator and so on until the fourth note as the KORG Mono/Poly.
Moreover, I tried on my Matriarch, it is enough to increase the volume of the fourth oscillator to get it out of the mix so by maintaining a 3-note chord in the left hand we can play a melody with the right hand.

I think I’ve answered the question of Max
Music is emotion suspended in space and time
illustrasons

Markyboard

Post by Markyboard » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:42 pm

If you first strike and hold a 3 note chord then I think you are correct. I assumed just playing without this restriction. From the manual...

This voice-assignment mode uses a cyclical pattern to assign each new note to a different oscillator. There are three available values: Off (C0), On with Reset (D0), and On (E0). When the value is set to Off, each new note
is always assigned to lowest-numbered available oscillator. With the value set to On with Reset, the first note played is always assigned to Oscillator 1, and additional notes are assigned to the other remaining oscillators in
a rotating fashion. With the value set to On, each note played is assigned to the next available oscillator. The Default is On with Reset (D0).

I'm not sure that any of these modes assures the melody will be assigned to osc 4. It really depends on the order of the subsequent melody notes vs the next chord.

MintMark

Post by MintMark » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:11 am

As well as some control over the oscillator assignment (that then allows you to set up one oscillator differently for the melody), there are other factors to keep in mind.

If multi trigger is off then your subsequent notes are all in the sustain part of the envelopes... so make sure the sustain levels are where you want them for filter and amplitude. If multi trigger is on then I guess the chord is re-triggering for every melody note too.

And key tracking affects the filter according to the last note played, so with any key tracking set at all, the state of the filter depends on the order of the notes played.

But I think the first answer is right... three oscillators are louder than one, so if you want to hear that one then turn it up!

MaxFerency

Post by MaxFerency » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:47 pm

All this does help. Something I was also reading in the manual online after I left the store was that the keyboard velocity isn't connected to anything out of the box and so all the paraphonic notes only had one volume. I guess I could route that to the 4th osc mix volume and it would help it stand out in the mix as well?

whatisvalis

Post by whatisvalis » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:35 am

You might also want to enable restore stolen voices on note off in the global options.

Key tracking on the filter can be the biggest issue.