Help choosing synth for mother/dfam setup

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
Swampthing31978

Help choosing synth for mother/dfam setup

Post by Swampthing31978 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:39 pm

Hi
Can someone please school me in laments terms on this? I Really want to add an affordable synth that can handle bass sequences to my mother 32 and DFAM set up. I’ve been researching this for weeks but still have questions. Maybe I’m over thinking here. The Moog voltage thing intimidates me because I don’t understand completely. I hear some synths Aren’t comparable with it ?I’ve been looking for videos where people mix the moog mother 32/dfam with other gear and see that a lot of people will have a “brain” like arturia beatstep pro or keystep or octatrack etc I’m guessing, running the show using the moog with another brand synth. And/or a 4 way midi splitter? Is this the only way to be sure everything will speak to each other correctly?
For instance, for simplicity, I like the looks of the bass station 2 especially with the paraphonic update. And the Korg Monologue looks good (except 16 steps is limited for a sequencer) the modal stuff also interests me. Of course the dread box and behringer semi modular look great
How a a bout this: a desktop synth and a keystep into the moog stuff would that work?
I just want to make a minimal dawless setup that with play nice with moog dfam and mother and is not too expensive. I almost feel like saying screw it and just get the grandmother to be assured it will all play nice together
Thank you!

ummagumma

Re: Help choosing synth for mother/dfam setup

Post by ummagumma » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:50 pm

Doepfer Dark Time?

has MIDI as well as dual sets of CV

maybe not as versatile as some modern software based sequencers, but it nails the oldschool step sequencer vibe