Trying to sync DFAM & Grandmother with Reaper

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
zosterops

Trying to sync DFAM & Grandmother with Reaper

Post by zosterops » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:54 pm

Hello,

I'm having some trouble syncing my DFAM with my Grandmother and DAW (reaper).

I can trigger the GM as well as play it with MIDI and record audio from it into Reaper and it all stays in sync. Everything's cool.
But if I add the DFAM, audio from the DFAM is out of sync (late).

Here's my setup:
Computer's USB to GM -> GM Clock Out to DFAM ADV/Clock -> DFAM Audio Out to Scarlett 2i2 (usb audio Interface).

I send a midi note from Reaper to the Grandmother to trigger its sequencer which starts the DFAM running.

The problem is, when recording, I'm getting a significant amount of latency by the time the DFAM audio gets back to Reaper.
Again, this latency only happens with the DFAM. I can play and record the Grandmother just fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

zosterops

Re: Trying to sync DFAM & Grandmother with Reaper

Post by zosterops » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:54 pm

Some more troubleshooting:

I've tried using GM Gate Out -> DFAM ADV/Clock.
With this patch, the DFAM starts exactly an 1/8 note (@150 bpm) late every time, but stays in sync.

Using the GM Clock Out -> DFAM ADV/Clock, the DFAM starts variably late (changes a little every time) and is completely out of sync.

Grandmother Global settings:

MIDI Clock Input: Follow MIDI Clock + Start/Stop Commands
MIDI Clock Output: Send MIDI Clock + Start/Stop Commands
External Clock Mode: CLOCK
External Clock Input PPQN: 2PPQN
Clock Output PPQN: 2PPQN

oberfacer

Post by oberfacer » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:54 pm

I am having the exact same issue, but with Studio One 3. Grandmother Clock out to DFAM ADV/Clock is perfectly synced when my DAW is out of the equation, but the communication with Studio One 3's midi clock being sent to the Grandmother is causing a very annoying lag from the DFAM. When I trigger the ARP/Sequencer with the keyboard outside of my DAW, they are both very tight and very in sync, the minute I try to record to a click track within my DAW, the DFAM will not sync with the click track, but the Grandmother still will. This is very frustrating and I shouldn't have to drag my DFAM audio to fit the tempo grid after I record. Could this be an issue with the DAW and my Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 interface? Perhaps in those quick moments between triggering the DFAM w/ Grandmother that the interface can't respond to the Clock Out >DFAM Sync fast enough? I have tried turning my buffer size to minimal in case it was just a latency issue.

It's very frustrating. I shouldn't have to consider buying an external midi clock(or other external synth) to clock my DFAM tightly to the tempo/click track. Any advice is much appreciated!

zosterops

Post by zosterops » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:38 am

I'm waiting on a reply from Moog Support and still haven't figured this out.

It's not a latency issue in my case (I think) because I can make it work if I put my DSI OB-6 in-between my PC and the Grandmother.

Like this:

USB to OB-6 -> Ob6 MIDI OUT -> GM MIDI IN -> GM CLOCK OUT -> DFAM.

So that seems to rule out my interface and Reaper itself, right?

tias

Post by tias » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:23 pm

Hi,

Maybe too simple of a solution to the issue, but are you making sure you're on the last note on the DFAM before you hit play?
It will be out of sync if the DFAM is set to the first note before starting.

mja

Post by mja » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:29 pm

Was there any resolution on this? I'm having the same issue with an almost identical setup - just Logic vs. Reaper.