performing DFAM like a synth

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
OMN

performing DFAM like a synth

Post by OMN » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:53 am

Hi,

I am trying to perform midi notes on the DFAM in a DFAM - Mother32 configuration.

GATE ( mother32 ) ---> ADV/Clock ( DFAM )
KB ( mother32 ) ---> MULTI ( mother32 )
MULT1 ( mother32 ) ----> VCO1 CV ( DFAM )
MULT2 ( mother32 ) ----> VCO2 CV ( DFAM )
ASSIGN ( mother 32 ) -----> VCF mod ( DFAM ) ( aftertouch filter mod )

I set the VCA decay at max on DFAM. However the following issues are the questions;

- Each midi note on triggers the DFAM by the sound dies after a while, tough the VCA decay is at max.
- Between notes of different pitches I hear a portamento glide, which I can't avoid.

Please enlighten me, if there are inner issues of DFAM which I am not aware of.

thank you !

bichuelo

Re: performing DFAM like a synth

Post by bichuelo » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:33 pm

I do use the DFAM as a second and third oscillator for the Mother-32, but without using the envelopes nor DFAM's filter section

In this scenario, the Gate nor the Assing outputs from the Mother are used. Both DFAM's oscillators are routed to the VC Mix in the Mother, then to the Ext Audio

In this way, the Mother's envelope and filter section is used for all of the three filters. It works like a charm
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

Suspish

Post by Suspish » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:10 pm

I think you would want to send the gate out from M32 to the trigger in on DFAM, instead of the advance/run, otherwise the pitch and velocity amounts will change with each step, unless you have them all set the same. That wouldn't necessarily explain why the envelope doesn't remain open, but it would be worth a try to see if it affects the behavior.

Also, by doing it that way, you can use the pitch and velocity steps as a modulation source, since the normalized sequencer to gate is broken when something is plugged into the trigger input, though you'll need something plugged into the velocity input as well, to break that sequencer routing.

OMN

Post by OMN » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:18 am

Thanks for the contributions and sorry for my late reply...

First of all I got rid of the portamento glide. I left the glide forgotten on Mother32 and I was testing without the sound of Mother32 just the DFAM, however I find it really interesting that the Mother32 translate the MIDI keyboard pitch + the Glide pitch transition and output it from the KB CV out. I imagined that would be only the Midi pitch value..

"In this scenario, the Gate nor the Assing outputs from the Mother are used. Both DFAM's oscillators are routed to the VC Mix in the Mother, then to the Ext Audio"]

Yes, I tried it and taking the VCO1 and VCO2 directly from DFAM into Mother32 works as these oscillators are not effected from the internal VCA of DFAM.

"I think you would want to send the gate out from M32 to the trigger in on DFAM, instead of the advance/run, otherwise the pitch and velocity amounts will change with each step, unless you have them all set the same. That wouldn't necessarily explain why the envelope doesn't remain open, but it would be worth a try to see if it affects the behavior."

I have tried both trigger and ADV/Clock scenarios. I use the Seq/Pitch mode of DFAM "off" so the states are effected from the sequencer pitch. Though one has make still all the step levels equal when using the ADV/Clock input. In both cases the envelopes turns the DFAM osc's volume off after a while. They won't remain open, tough the VCA decay is at max. I think this is a hard wired behavior being thought that this module should produce decaying percussive like sounds anyways. weird!