GM keyboard velocity sensitivity issue

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
robotecho

GM keyboard velocity sensitivity issue

Post by robotecho » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:14 pm

I've noticed that the keyboard on my GM doesn't have much range at lower velocities, which makes it hard to play expressively.

So when you play softly it goes from no velocity to medium / high velocity very quickly.

I thought this might be an issue with the patches I've been making, but I am using it today with my Keylab as a controller, and the response is perfect, just what I would expect, capable of a lot of detail and expression when played softly.

I have checked the GM manual and there is no published way to adjust the velocity curve on the keyboard, unless I have missed something?

Has anyone had similar issues? Is there an undocumented way to adjust the velocity sensitivity, or does this sound like a fault?

Bums me out a little because the GM keyboard is so nice to play!
Moog Grandmother (Firmware 1.0.2) | Arturia Keylab 61 mk II Controller | Win 10 64bit, Core i7 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM | Studio One 3 | NI Komplete 11 | Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

MescalHeart

Re: GM keyboard velocity sensitivity issue

Post by MescalHeart » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:00 am

I agree, the keybed on the GM is lovely and soo satisfying to use. But the velocity sensitivity doesn't have much range, I either play it at full on or super-soft, but getting it to play expressively is undoable for me. Other midi controllers and keybeds I've used have way more range to work with.
Would love to be able to adjust this or that the default would be updated through a firmware update.

Ted H

Post by Ted H » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:30 am

I agree, Sensitivity is pretty much "soft or loud". I rarely have my "KB Vel Out" patched in anymore.

MescalHeart

Post by MescalHeart » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:31 pm

I just tested if the velocity has something to do with how the keyboard is made or integrated by connecting the GM to my DAW (Ableton) using USB-MIDI and testing the velocity sensitivity with a basic Analog plugin. The velocity works as you'd expect and is really expressive. So I'm hopeful the velocity sensitive of the KB Vel Out can be improved through a firmware update or something. Hope Moog is reading this one :). Else it might make sense to contact support. Cheers.

MescalHeart

Post by MescalHeart » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:16 am

Just had contact with support about this issue and it's being looked at, investigated. Hopefully more information soon..

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:07 am

cool beans!!

moogme

Post by moogme » Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:02 pm

2023 here. same issue. any updates?

emborg

Post by emborg » Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:35 pm

There is a little bit better situation with the new Compressed curve, I must admin, but for me new range is not enough, may be engineers could add additional curve to firmware with better range in lower curve band

ortho

Post by ortho » Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:46 pm

+1, I would also like them to adjust the velocity scaling, or offer selectable curves. Mine is very top heavy as well. It sounds pretty good modulating Env to filter cutoff, but it could be even better with adjustment. It is still hard to hit the even notes consistently.

pmumble

Post by pmumble » Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:32 pm

Both the Grandmother and Matriarch have this issue... still...

How hard could this be to fix? Really.