Moog Music Forum

Share Ideas and Pass the word

GM keyboard velocity sensitivity issue

Tabletop Semi-Modular Analog Synthesizers

GM keyboard velocity sensitivity issue

Postby robotecho » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:14 pm

I've noticed that the keyboard on my GM doesn't have much range at lower velocities, which makes it hard to play expressively.

So when you play softly it goes from no velocity to medium / high velocity very quickly.

I thought this might be an issue with the patches I've been making, but I am using it today with my Keylab as a controller, and the response is perfect, just what I would expect, capable of a lot of detail and expression when played softly.

I have checked the GM manual and there is no published way to adjust the velocity curve on the keyboard, unless I have missed something?

Has anyone had similar issues? Is there an undocumented way to adjust the velocity sensitivity, or does this sound like a fault?

Bums me out a little because the GM keyboard is so nice to play!
Moog Grandmother (Firmware 1.0.2) | Arturia Keylab 61 mk II Controller | Win 10 64bit, Core i7 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM | Studio One 3 | NI Komplete 11 | Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
robotecho

Re: GM keyboard velocity sensitivity issue

Postby MescalHeart » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:00 am

I agree, the keybed on the GM is lovely and soo satisfying to use. But the velocity sensitivity doesn't have much range, I either play it at full on or super-soft, but getting it to play expressively is undoable for me. Other midi controllers and keybeds I've used have way more range to work with.
Would love to be able to adjust this or that the default would be updated through a firmware update.
MescalHeart

Postby Ted H » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:30 am

I agree, Sensitivity is pretty much "soft or loud". I rarely have my "KB Vel Out" patched in anymore.
Ted H

Postby MescalHeart » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:31 pm

I just tested if the velocity has something to do with how the keyboard is made or integrated by connecting the GM to my DAW (Ableton) using USB-MIDI and testing the velocity sensitivity with a basic Analog plugin. The velocity works as you'd expect and is really expressive. So I'm hopeful the velocity sensitive of the KB Vel Out can be improved through a firmware update or something. Hope Moog is reading this one :). Else it might make sense to contact support. Cheers.
MescalHeart

Postby MescalHeart » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:16 am

Just had contact with support about this issue and it's being looked at, investigated. Hopefully more information soon..
MescalHeart

Postby ummagumma » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:07 am

cool beans!!
ummagumma

Postby Strelok_401 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:47 pm

Wait, there can be issues on the Grandmother due to how fast/strongly you can press the keys? Looks like I'll have to be prudent...
... by the way, are there other sorts of sensibilities I should look out for? What I'm mostly interested in would be issues du to moisture (or the absence of it) or temperature.
The thing is that, along with the GM, I was planning to buy one of these houses in Greece for the holidays, so I'd rather make sure I'll be able to use the damn thing there (or where I live in Russia, or where I come from in cold and wet Belgium if I ever go back there for an extended period of time)...
Strelok_401

Return to Grandmother, Mother-32 & DFAM