Anyone finding the spring reverb on Grandmother problematic?

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
mattymel

Anyone finding the spring reverb on Grandmother problematic?

Post by mattymel » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:02 am

Don’t get me wrong, for me the reverb was one of the big selling points of the Grandmother. BUT...it is VERY sensitive. I use the GM on stages with drums, subwoofers, people
jumping around, etc and this thing rattles CONSTANTLY! To the point where I am wondering if I’ll need to buy a separate reverb for it. It even rattles when I am at home and have it on my keyboard stand, just from me playing the keys ON A DIFFERENT SYNTH on the same 2 tier stand.

Anyone else experiencing this? Or is it possible my reverb tank is somehow defective?

bichuelo

Re: Anyone finding the spring reverb on Grandmother problema

Post by bichuelo » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:36 am

That's just the nature of spring tank reverbs. I have two additional tanks which are different, and all behave in the same way

For a non-problematic reverb, which makes no feedback at all, you should go digital
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

mattymel

Post by mattymel » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:54 pm

I’ve dealt with spring reverbs in countless amps and never once had a kick drum from across the stage cause a spring to rattle on my amp. Maybe people aren’t using these in live scenarios yet?

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:19 pm

Well, now I realize I do have a fourth tank on my Hammond. the other two are external units, so I am unable to compare them with the ones on guitar amps since I don't have one

Maybe those are placed differently
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:17 pm

you may want to check your reverb is attached properly?

there was a post on muffwiggler about the reverb tank screws coming loose

I am planning on using loctite on mine to hold the threads sturdy

another option could be to install longer mounting screws, with rubber washers to help isolate vibration? or a rubber mat

mattymel

Post by mattymel » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:08 am

Could you elaborate on just how you get into the reverb tank? I can’t find any information on that anywhere.

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:03 pm

I haven't opened it, but the guy on muffs said there are approx 10 "same sized" screws on the bottom, that he unscrewed

maybe shoot Moog an email asking for instruction?

*edit* I am surprised no one on the internet has opened one up & taken gut shots etc! I had a look too, & saw no references

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:07 pm

hmm thinking about how reverb tanks are used in old Fender amps, they stuff the tank into a padded bag, and then screw the bag into the cabinet

the tank is just floating in the bag, not connected directly to the cab

so doing the same ( adding a padded bag around the tank ) could add some isolation, too?

Meneer Vincent

Post by Meneer Vincent » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:00 am

I have the same issue. More noise from the spring than the actual reverb sound. Curious how to handle this. Pics should indeed be more than welcome. (or a proper response from Moog)

mattymel

Post by mattymel » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:52 pm

I wrote Moog about 2 weeks ago and haven’t heard back. Hopefully they address this as the reverb is basically unusable for me live as is.

Sirius360

Post by Sirius360 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:24 am

Any news on this toppic?
I just got my Grandmother and in my opinion the reverb is a bit too sensitive aswell. Even while playing a bit harder the spring rackels sometimes. Is this normal? Should I open it and take a look inside or should I stick with it?

Greetings

knifeedge

Post by knifeedge » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:30 am

Mine too is very sensitive.
BUT:
to be precise, is very sensitive to low frequency oscillations, as the ones deriving from a not totally stable stand (like the typical X stands). When on a very stable surface (like a heavy table), my spring reverb is totally silent, even if I knock on the GM.
I think it's intrinsic to the nature of the spring reverb: it's a not_so_tensioned spring, it oscillates with low frequency oscillations.
And physically there's no reasonable way to reduce/absorb internally low frequency oscillations.

Andrea