DFAM 'strange' behaviour

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
unruhe

DFAM 'strange' behaviour

Post by unruhe » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:53 am

His all,
I have a Mother 32 and recently got DFAM.
There's something I don't understand about the DFAM oscillators/sequencer.

If I set STEP 1 velocity to max and all following steps to zero and set pitches different for every step AND set a long decay the envelope kicks in on STEP 1 and the sound decays for a long time but changes the pitch as per the pitch knob for each step.

The only way to stop it is to stop this is to have the decay shorter than the time between steps.

Is that normal? I have a feeling it might be, but does that mean that I can't really) create a loooong bass or kick without dropping the tempo or manipulate each step's pitch to taste?

Cheers.

stiiiiiiive

Re: DFAM 'strange' behaviour

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:54 pm

Hello unruhe, welcome to the forum :)

I don't own any DFAM, but if the velocity is related to voume and/or filter cutoff frequency, I feel it's normal.
Think of it as an oscillator whose pitch is sequencially controlled and whose volume envelope is long. Now replace the sequencer by a simple LFO and there you get something more than normal: the vibrato keeps on vibrating while the envelope fades.

Anyone correct me!

DUBMCT

Re: DFAM 'strange' behaviour

Post by DUBMCT » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:04 pm

I too just encountered this as being a problem.
With the SEQ PITCH MOD switch set to off. Then the sequencer acts normally - as in with a decay at 11 o'clock, only the steps that have velocity turned up will trigger.
If you select VCO 1&2 or VCO 2 with the SEQ PITCH MOD switch, then the pitch settings of the sequencer will come into effect regardless of the velocity positions if the VCA decay is anywhere past the 11 o'clock position.
While this can be a desirable effect sometimes, it surely would be nice to be able to turn it on/off as it definitely is not desirable all the time and is rather limiting for sequencing.
D
MOOG: micro/sub/37/M32/DFAM/105m/MF delay/MF trem