Grandmother electrical floor noise [solved!]

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
André

Grandmother electrical floor noise [solved!]

Post by André » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:30 pm

Hello,

I have an electrical floor noise problem with my Grandmother. It is connected to an Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 audio card. There is also an Access Virus TI (digital synth) connected to the same audio card.

When I play the Virus, everything is fine, complete silent when I don't play it.

When I play the Grandmother, there is a nasty electrical floor noise when I don't play it.

The Grandmother produces no noise when I play it on headphones. So maybe a cable issue?

I will test all cables, connections one by one but I have (surprisingly enough) lots of them and it could also be a combinaison of more than on cable.

Anyway, has anyone experienced something similar? Any advice?

Thanks.

André
Last edited by André on Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

André

Re: Grandmother electrical floor noise

Post by André » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:56 am

I'd like to also add that I previously add a Mother-32 and DFAM connected to the same audio card with no unwanted floor noise.

André

Post by André » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:16 am

One thing I noticed : if the Grandmother is plugged to the main but switched off, the noise floor is still there. If I unplug it, the noise floor disappears.

André

Post by André » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:41 pm

Found the culprit!

I disconnect and reconnected everything one by one (hub, printer, hard drives, midi interface, etc) and have finally discover that the OWC Thunderbold hub I was using was causing the floor noise. I got rid of it, used a massive 10-inputs usb hub and no more floor noise!

That's a bit of a weird bug but It is above all big, big relief.

willb1220

Post by willb1220 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:41 pm

André wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:41 pm Found the culprit!

I disconnect and reconnected everything one by one (hub, printer, hard drives, midi interface, etc) and have finally discover that the OWC Thunderbold hub I was using was causing the floor noise. I got rid of it, used a massive 10-inputs usb hub and no more floor noise!

That's a bit of a weird bug but It is above all big, big relief.
literally made an account here to say that this post probably saved me from going insane

Brian Keary

Re: Grandmother electrical floor noise [solved!]

Post by Brian Keary » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:01 pm

Hi I just got the Grandmother a week ago, Ive been trying to record it on Logic through an apogee duet 2. I have this fuzzy hissy sound on the track before i even play any note on the keyboard. I live in Ireland 3 pin plugs etc. How do i get rid of this noise as I can't use the synth like this. Keep it simple and basic if you can please? Thanks much appreciated.