Grandmother VCA AMt in: Add or Multiply?

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
goatofneptune

Grandmother VCA AMt in: Add or Multiply?

Post by goatofneptune » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:34 pm

I just got my Grandmother. I patched the KB Vel Out to the VCA Amt In, because I wanted to play it dynamically, but it didnt work. The Manual says on Page 22, that the Signals are multiplied (then it would be possible to play the gm dynamically), but on page 41 it says the signals are just added (which means its not possible to play it dynamically). So which one is true? Is ist possible to play the grandmother dynamically? How shall I patch it (I dont mean Filter cutoff, but the loudness reacting on velocity).

Cheers,

goatofneptune

Re: Grandmother VCA AMt in: Add or Multiply?

Post by goatofneptune » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:39 pm

ok, I did some more research. The VCA Amt In does multiply its signal with the one from the EG. You can make a nice amplitude modulation when you put in the Wave Out of the Modulation in the VCA Amt in. This works because the Modulation Wave out gives out Voltages from round about -5 to +5 Volt. BUT: you cant play it dynamically while putting the KB Vel out to the VCA Amt in, because the KB Vel Out works from 0 to +5 Volt, so it wont substrakt any Voltages from the EG, and because of this, the level wont get softer when you hit the keys softer :/ You will need a second external voltage controlled VCA (eg the vc mixer from the mother 32) for this.

Or has anyone a solution for this?

ortho

Re: Grandmother VCA AMt in: Add or Multiply?

Post by ortho » Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:42 pm

Hey, time-warp here! 5 years later i just got a Grandmother, had the same issue, saw your post, looked at the 1.13 firmware and it has a global feature where you can select the Vel Out CV amount to be -5v to +5v or 0v - 10v.

It does affect the volume when i send a vel of 0 vs a vel of 127 but only just slightly. The GM keyboard velocity isn't great either so it basically has no effect at all when playing by hand.

Shrug