Wooden end pieces for Grandmother?

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
ummagumma

Wooden end pieces for Grandmother?

Post by ummagumma » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:33 pm

anyone else here think Grandma would look nice with wooden end caps?

I might see if I can make some up. not sure how difficult it would be, to incorporate onto the existing fit/attachment method?

Mr. Z

Re: Wooden end pieces for Grandmother?

Post by Mr. Z » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:35 pm

I certainly would like to see wooden end caps on the GM.

Hermetech Mastering

Post by Hermetech Mastering » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:56 am

Me too, I contacted a few places that do wood end panels for synths a while back, but they either didn't reply to me or aren't offering GM or M panels yet. Are the end panels on the GM and the M exactly the same? (I only have a GM).

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:27 pm

now that my GM warranty is up, I might start messing with it

ChiLam

Post by ChiLam » Sun May 03, 2020 5:16 pm

Would really like this for the Matriarch too. Actually, i'd love it if we could get an all black classic panel and wooden sides - that would be an instant buy.

Technician Larry

Post by Technician Larry » Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:34 pm

Hey people - I've got my cnc machine programmed to make panels - both for the MG-1 / Rogue and the GM / Matriarch. The MG-1 panels I made a few years back were well received but were too much trouble to make. The new design will produce a more precise and consistent product that I can actually make some $ manufacturing and selling. Plus I now have an extensive selection of cool wood in my new warehouse. Watch this thread for pics of some samples coming soon.

I just checked GMUsynth - looks like maybe they have left the building. The pics of MG-1 panels look like they used a 1/4" bit to cut the slots which, without touching and feeling one, seems rather sloppy to me. I kinda like the black painted filler blocks though. Matching or contrasting wood colors is more my style but what do the customers say?https://www.gmusynth.com/products/moog- ... ide-panels

Well Drest Ghost

Post by Well Drest Ghost » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:02 am

I, for one, would love to see wooden panels for for the GM and Matriarch. I have both!
I agree with @Technician Larry about the sloppiness. I also agree with matching or contrasting filler (black) would probably look the best. I would love to see some sample images if you ever get them going.

dct

Post by dct » Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:45 am

Interested too
keys: CX-3 II, GRANDMOTHER, streichfett, ZEN DELAY

Sugar

Post by Sugar » Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:05 am

I would love contrasting wood panels for Matriarch Dark Edition. A classic Moog look.

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:00 pm

Only suggestion I have is make the INSIDE edge, where your fingers contact the wood, a nice smooth rounded edge.

The plastic inside edge of the GM is sharp & uncomfortable. Even the wood versions in the link above, seem to have a sharp inside edge? The outside edge is rounder. Although you might not want it too rounded. Not sure what the radius/ii are

Sharp edges also get nicked easier, which further roughs up the surface.

allandbyallo

Post by allandbyallo » Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:25 am

Technician Larry wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:34 pm Hey people - I've got my cnc machine programmed to make panels - both for the MG-1 / Rogue and the GM / Matriarch. The MG-1 panels I made a few years back were well received but were too much trouble to make. The new design will produce a more precise and consistent product that I can actually make some $ manufacturing and selling. Plus I now have an extensive selection of cool wood in my new warehouse. Watch this thread for pics of some samples coming soon.
Hey there! Did this idea ever come to life? Would be interested!

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:59 am

That is cool! Eurorack extension is nice, too

I'd prefer to completely replace the end cheeks, but I can see why ppl might prefer this. Easier!

needhamwoodworks

Post by needhamwoodworks » Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:15 pm

ummagumma wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:59 am That is cool! Eurorack extension is nice, too

I'd prefer to completely replace the end cheeks, but I can see why ppl might prefer this. Easier!
Heya, we got the build process dialed for the next run and I dropped the prices a bit. Also available for the Sub 37 & Matriarch.

RadioWavz

Post by RadioWavz » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:42 am

Quite neat! I’ll have to consider it. Looks really nice for the GM cheeks. The euro rack extension is a bit tempting too.