Looking to add DFAM & Mother - question about 2x, 3x setup

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
Hillbillypolack

Looking to add DFAM & Mother - question about 2x, 3x setup

Post by Hillbillypolack » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:41 pm

I’ve been looking to add a Mother 32 to my music room (and move out some of my prized FM synths). After the release of the DFAM, I’m looking toward that option as well.

The question I have is that I see the advantages of multiples of either unit. 2x in a rack lending more flexibility and dynamics.

Is a 3x rack that much more dynamic than a 2x, for either product? Is s 3x overkill or does it open up significantly more doors?

Bit of a nerdy question but wanted some feedback from anyone using multiple DFAMs or Mothers.

Hillbillypolack

Re: Looking to add DFAM & Mother - question about 2x, 3x set

Post by Hillbillypolack » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:37 pm

Anyone? Lots of views, so I don't think I'm alone in asking the question.

Just looking for feedback or experiences with 2x or 3x setups - are they more in a good way, or is there a point of diminishing returns?

Thanks!

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:44 am

Not experienced at all in semi-modular not eurorack set-ups, but here’s my view… just to have anyone reacting ;)

I’m the kind of guy who likes exploiting an instrument to the point where tricks are needed to go further. I don’t like having too much at once as I feel like I cannot fully enjoy everything.
If I was in your shoes, I would start with one or the other of the Moog desktops, making more and more familiar with it. Then I would add the other one and do the same, trying to make them talk together too.
And that’s at that point that I would be able to decide whether to get second instances or not.

Just me, huh ? :)

Hillbillypolack

Post by Hillbillypolack » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:50 pm

stiiiiiiive wrote:Not experienced at all in semi-modular not eurorack set-ups, but here’s my view… just to have anyone reacting ;)

I’m the kind of guy who likes exploiting an instrument to the point where tricks are needed to go further. I don’t like having too much at once as I feel like I cannot fully enjoy everything.
If I was in your shoes, I would start with one or the other of the Moog desktops, making more and more familiar with it. Then I would add the other one and do the same, trying to make them talk together too.
And that’s at that point that I would be able to decide whether to get second instances or not.

Just me, huh ? :)
Hey, stop using logic and stuff.

That was what I was thinking to be honest. Like any instrument, learning the fundamentals is most important then improvisation comes later.

I think what I was imagining was (if) there would be any voicings or patching that would come from multiples. Though as a starting point, a single unit would be fine. Of course it's hard to watch the experienced videos with multiples, as there's so much going on and sounding intoxicating.