Can I set BPM with the M32? MIDI?

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
Scuba

Can I set BPM with the M32? MIDI?

Post by Scuba » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:52 am

It's next to impossible to sync my M32 and DFAM with my drum machine. My drum machine has no midi. I set it by bpm. Is there ANY way i can do a bpm setting with the M32? I'm not sure how midi works, but I was wondering if I can use a midi clock with the M32 to set bpm. If you CAN set a midi clock to bpm, can anyone recommend one that is good for this?

Acid Mitch

Re: Can I set BPM with the M32? MIDI?

Post by Acid Mitch » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:35 am

You could use a MIDI clock source to control bpm on the m32 but that still won’t sync your drum machine.
Which drum machine are you using ?

DUBMCT

Post by DUBMCT » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:37 pm

I use a Korg Kaoss pad - KP3 as the master clock (MIDI), as it has a BPM display, then thru a midi solutions splitter to sync my sub37, and my electribe(v2) using MIDI. The electribe has a CV sync out, which then goes into my M32 CV (not midi) to sync tempo. I recently got a DFAM, so the CV sync out of the electribe goes into the DFAM, and then CV out of DFAM into the M32.
Kinda a round about way to see exact tempos, but one that works for me. (Sorry, away from my rig so i cant remember the exact ins and out on the mother and dfam)
I also like being able to pull the CV sync out of the DFAM while everything is running so i can do poly rhythms and various freak outs, then plug it back in to sync back upon the fly.
An option for you might be to get an old akai rhythm wolf drum machine, you can find em for cheap as they are crappy drum machines, but they have a tempo display and CV sync out, so use it without sound to see/set your BPM and sync your mother with CV.

D
MOOG: micro/sub/37/M32/DFAM/105m/MF delay/MF trem

Scuba

Post by Scuba » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:14 pm

If i can get my M32 set to whatever BPM i need, then I can just set my drum machine to the same BPM. My drum machine is the Boss Dr Rhythm 670.

I HAVE the KP3! I totally forgot it has a clock! What you said is WAY more involved than what I have. I'll just have to figure out how to use the KP3 clock to set the M32 BPM. The DFAM is no problem since I already have it time-synced to the M32 using the assign out.

DUBMCT

Post by DUBMCT » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:48 pm

Just run the KP3 midi out to the mother midi in, and it should work. The mother manual explains it all pretty well on how to sync it up.

However, the roland 670 says it has midi in/out, so why not use it for your clock?

Cheers

D
MOOG: micro/sub/37/M32/DFAM/105m/MF delay/MF trem

Acid Mitch

Post by Acid Mitch » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:12 pm

The Roland dr 670 has MIDI in and out connections and sends clock. The MIDI connections are the 5pin din sockets on the back.
Connect a MIdI cable from the output on your drum machine to he input on the m32.
According to page 87 of the dr670 manual you set the sync mode to “int”to have it be master and send clock.

klarrrro

Post by klarrrro » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:00 am

Acid Mitch wrote:The Roland dr 670 has MIDI in and out connections and sends clock. The MIDI connections are the 5pin din sockets on the back.
Connect a MIdI cable from the output on your drum machine to he input on the m32.
According to page 87 of the dr670 manual you set the sync mode to “int”to have it be master and send clock.

I guess it would work as well with the Analog Rytm mkii drum machine as well as it has midi in/out?