dfam run/stop use

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
satellite34

dfam run/stop use

Post by satellite34 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:26 am

Hello
I will need someone to do a test on his.
indeed, when I apply a voltage of 5v then 0v on the point of patch run / stop, with for example the lfo of the mother, the sequencer of the dfam reacts well (starts then stops etc ...) but none sound is not produced :(.

I find it very strange.
can it be reproduced at home and tell me if its DFAM plays the steps of the sequencer when a voltage is applied to the patch run / stop?

thank you
a ++

satellite34

Re: dfam run/stop use

Post by satellite34 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:01 pm

UP !

travisvictor

Post by travisvictor » Fri May 11, 2018 9:23 am

satellite34 wrote:Hello
I will need someone to do a test on his.
indeed, when I apply a voltage of 5v then 0v on the point of patch run / stop, with for example the lfo of the mother, the sequencer of the dfam reacts well (starts then stops etc ...) but none sound is not produced :(.

I find it very strange.
can it be reproduced at home and tell me if its DFAM plays the steps of the sequencer when a voltage is applied to the patch run / stop?

thank you
a ++
I would love to know this as well. I had the same findings last night when trying to use Run/Stop with a MATHS module. The sequencer on the DFAM would start when it received the pulse but it generate so little signal. I could barely hear it with the volume at maximum and my mixer's gain cranked. Am I missing something?

brdlygy

Post by brdlygy » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:10 am

Why no response from Moog on this topic? Could we please get get an explanation of the intended function of the RUN/STOP patch point?

JohanH211

Post by JohanH211 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:29 pm

Hi guys,

Dealing with this exact same issue.
Did you solve it?

With Adv/Clock sequencing I get sound.
With Run/Stop, the sequencer runs and stops as it should but sound is generated.

When I manually trigger the the 'trigger' knob I do hear sound.... :x

Many thanks

Johan

Dpfels

Post by Dpfels » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:10 pm

OK - having just posted a response, I went back and did some digging.
First, this is a known property of the run/stop jack on the DFAM. It was called out in the Sound on Sound review a while back:
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/moog-dfam
I am surprised this hasn’t been fixed, as it is an unconventional (and not very useful) feature.

That said, I found the following workaround, which requires an external VCA:
(This assumes that you are using an external clock to run the DFAM via the ADV/Clock jack.)

Clone the clock signal that is going into the Adv/Clock jack and send it to the VCA. Gate the VCA with the same 0-5V gate that you are feeding into to Run/Stop jack. Take that gated clock signal and send it to the Trigger input on the DFAM. This “gated clock” is very useful, as noted below. The input to the trigger jack triggers the envelope on the DFAM. Because it is gated by the same signal that is starting/stopping the DFAM, the clock will only be present when the gate is high.

Of course, there are other variations possible:
If you don’t gate the clock signal through a VCA, you will retrigger the DFAM at which ever position it stops on (until the Run/Stop input goes high again).

Alternatively, you can skip the input to Start/Stop and simply feed the gated clock into the ADV/Clock jack. This is almost the same as using Start/Stop, although it may be less precise (not sure about this).

Third, you can use the gated clock but not feed the gate to the Start/Stop. In this case, the DFAM sequencer will continue to advance, but the sound will only be triggered when the gated clock is on. This is useful if you want to keep the sequencer synchronized to some other part of the patch, but you want it to fire only periodically.

Finally, and most simply, you can feed the DFAM through an external VCA to gate it on and off, while allowing the sequencer to run. This is essentially the same as the last case.

I hope this helps!

ChocolateWaterhorse

Post by ChocolateWaterhorse » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:42 pm

From my understanding, the Run/Stop, Trigger, and Tempo inputs allow for some pretty unique sequencing especially when the Run/Stop faults the Envelope Trigger/Gates...

If you run Mother 32's square LFO out to DFAM Run/Stop, you won't be triggering any DFAM Envelopes.

but if you do take advantage of the Trigger and Tempo inputs on the DFAM, you'd begin to understand why the Run/Stop is set to work to not trigger the DFAM Envelopes.

I made a video to help explain this :) cheers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBM-rl4 ... ChadWeiske

JohanH211

Post by JohanH211 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:49 am

Thanks Chad, this is really helpful!

gtech

Post by gtech » Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:36 am

Hi all, I was also super frustrated by this issue, but I found a way around it.

After run/stop is activated via the gate in, and the sequencer is already running, you can press the RUN/STOP button (even though the LED is already lit up, and you would imagine it doesn't do anything). It will start triggering the envelopes from the internal sequencer.

As normal, patching something to the TRIGGER input will bypass the internal envelopes again.

The same works in reverse: press the RUN/STOP button again BEFORE switching the RUN/STOP gate to 0V, otherwise the sequencer won't stop when the gate drops to 0V.

Another workaround, in case this doesn't suit your use case, and you want to trigger envelopes in time with the internal clock, while using the RUN/STOP input, is to use the VELOCITY 1-8 as a gate output by switching alternating knobs to 0 and 5V and patching the VELOCITY OUT to the TRIGGER IN. Not ideal as you lose the use of the velocity sequencer for other things, but could be useful in a bigger setup.

(NB Using the VELOCITY 1-8 like this could also be useful to sync external gear. Using the TRIGGER OUT for this, as suggested by the manual, seems far from ideal as it doesn't always follow a regular clock, but rather follows whatever is patched to TRIGGER IN.)

Hope it helps someone.

G