HOW do I connect DFAM and M32 to each other??

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
LD67

HOW do I connect DFAM and M32 to each other??

Post by LD67 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:53 am

I’m TOTALLY new to this. I have the dfam and my new m32 will be here later today. So I don’t waste a load of time and possibly start a fire, can someone possibly give me some info on how to get these things connected? Does the sound go from one unit into the other or does each one need its own cable and speaker? What do I patch? I saw some videos on how to synchronize them up but I’m still not sure how to set the sound path. Thanks!

stewdio

Re: HOW do I connect DFAM and M32 to each other??

Post by stewdio » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:12 am

You can do either of those - take the main out of each synth into it's own input on an external mixer, amplifier, audio interface or you can take the VCA out of the DFAM into the external audio input on the M32 - HOWEVER if you do that, the DFAM signal will also be running through the M32 VCF and VCA sections which may or may not be something you want to do depending on the goal of the patches.
I do both depending on what sort of sound I'm making, but I'm more likely to connect them to their own channel on my audio interface to record their outputs discretely in Logic (often I'll sync the M32 to logic and use it's step advance out to synch the DFAM to that so it all plays in synch with my Logic session - it's pretty great!)
instagram.com/stew_crookes
stewcrookes.com

~ all meters ~ all red ~ all the time ~

LD67

Post by LD67 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:02 pm

Thank you! I have a pair of stereo monitors so I have my dfam hooked into the L and my M32 into the right one. Now I’m trying to figure out how to change the tempo on my dfam. I have the M33 patched from its assign out into the dfam clock/sync. But the tempo is so slow!

stewdio

Post by stewdio » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:57 am

is the DFAM playing in sync with the M32 just at a division of the clock? When you sync them the tempo on the DFAM becomes a divider for the clock so you can have it playing along with the M32 at half time or quarter time or whatever but it's still in synch... if it's too slow because it's not syncing then you have something either patched incorrectly or assigned incorrectly
instagram.com/stew_crookes
stewcrookes.com

~ all meters ~ all red ~ all the time ~