Low Volume out of Mother 32

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
Gooey

Low Volume out of Mother 32

Post by Gooey » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:26 am

I'm starting to get increasingly low volume out of my Mother 32. I have the filter open, the gain is all the way up on my soundcard channel, I'm using a TRS cable. With all of this, it's coming in at -38 in Ableton. I recently recorded it at -16. Does anyone have thoughts on what could be happening or have recommendations on what I should do to fix it?

Thanks much in advance!

Gooey

Re: Low Volume out of Mother 32

Post by Gooey » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:52 pm

...Sounds like maybe I should take it in to get it looked at.

ulverine

Re: Low Volume out of Mother 32

Post by ulverine » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:04 am

maybe this helps:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=25298

From the Mother32 Facebook Group:
{Update 20160108: Moog has confirmed that for the Mother-32 a 1/4" TS audio output cable needs to be used to connect to all other gear other than headsets which take a 1/4" TRS cable. They have a circuit that detects a TS or TRS cable and alters the function accordingly. If you experience low volume take out that TRS cable and put in the proper specified TS audio cable. They likely will publish a clarification about this in their next release of the manual. Thanks Moog for the clarification.

An email from engineers at Moog: "The output of the mother-32 is a mono to stereo out, with both unbalanced channels in phase, for headphones. It can also drive an unbalanced line level signal. If you plug a TS cable in to the output one channel is shunted through a resistor to ground, and the other appears at the tip. If you use a TRS cable, and connect to a balanced input, the signal cancels itself out, as a balanced input is differential. The difference between the same thing is zero."