Tempo Sync DFAM & Roland TR-08

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
megalonyx

Tempo Sync DFAM & Roland TR-08

Post by megalonyx » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:03 pm

I'm trying to sync tempo of my DFAM to my Roland TR-08. I tried using the "TriggerOut" on the TR-08 into the "TRIGGER" and "TEMPO" Inputs on the DFAM but neither produces the results I'm looking for. Is it possible? The TR-08 also has Midi IN/OUT.

enotide

Re: Tempo Sync DFAM & Roland TR-08

Post by enotide » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:05 pm

I did this this morning, Trigger out (tr-08) > Trigger in (DFAM), then Trigger out (DFAM) > ADV/CLOCK (DFAM) worked pretty good.
You will have to use the advance button (DFAM) to get the sequence to start where you want it.

megalonyx

Post by megalonyx » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:38 pm

It works and it’s awesome. I love that you can sequence when you want the triggers to be on the TR-08 and create interesting rhythms on the fly. It really opens up the possibilities!

Thanks enotide!

enotide

Post by enotide » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:33 pm

It will work the Same way with the TR-09 as well :D

Gooey

Post by Gooey » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:00 pm

enotide wrote:I did this this morning, Trigger out (tr-08) > Trigger in (DFAM), then Trigger out (DFAM) > ADV/CLOCK (DFAM) worked pretty good.
You will have to use the advance button (DFAM) to get the sequence to start where you want it.
Hey, good to know! I also have a tr8 and am thinking of getting the DFAM. Thanks for the tip on how to get them to jam together.

Blackryder

Post by Blackryder » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:03 pm

You can also just patch the trigger out from your Tr08 (or anything that sends a trigger pulse) straight into the ADV/CLOCK input, and save the trigger patch points for doing other stuff.

Acid Mitch

Post by Acid Mitch » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:51 am

enotide wrote: You will have to use the advance button (DFAM) to get the sequence to start where you want it.
Aye, no reset to step one deserves the facepalm of the year award. I’m surprised it made it into production with out this and makes me think the designers never actually used it along with other devices.

Acid Mitch

Post by Acid Mitch » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:53 am

Blackryder wrote:You can also just patch the trigger out from your Tr08 (or anything that sends a trigger pulse) straight into the ADV/CLOCK input, and save the trigger patch points for doing other stuff.
Correct. The trigger in is for when your using an external sequencer to trigger sounds. Nothing to do with sync.

toodee

Post by toodee » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:53 am

Blackryder wrote:You can also just patch the trigger out from your Tr08 (or anything that sends a trigger pulse) straight into the ADV/CLOCK input, and save the trigger patch points for doing other stuff.
Hi everyone, first post on here !

I recorded the TRIGGER output from the DFAM into my MPC, which sounds like any audio click. I'm now playing that sound back from the MPC into the TRIGGER input of the DFAM, then patching the TRIGGER output to the RUN/STOP input, and that works fine, as soon as the jack is in, the DFAM sequencer starts playing and sounds are triggered.
Yet, sending the same audio click into the ADV/CLOCK input instead has no effect, the RUN/STOP and TRIGGER buttons as well as the tempo knob still work as if nothing was plugged in ADV/CLOCK.

Is it normal, am I missing something ?

natalilialet

Tempo Sync DFAM Roland TR 08

Post by natalilialet » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:50 pm

Hi,

How we can switch percussion or drum loops in sp 404 while sync with the
tempo? Its like using pattern A on pad-1 then use the fill-in on pad-2 and then come back to pattern A and all sync with tempo.

domtak

Post by domtak » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:53 pm

I just got a DFAM and figured this thread makes the most sense when talking about syncing the DFAM with other modules. Am I right in thinking the DFAM—if set to Step 1—is always a step out? I have to set it to Step 8 to get the downbeat of Step 1 to play in sync with everything else. In fact, even on it's own - starting the DFAM from Step 1 does not play Step 1 and instead the first step played is actually Step 2.

Is this correct behavior? Seems very strange... :shock: