Mother#2 plays one octave lower?

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
Sculptair

Mother#2 plays one octave lower?

Post by Sculptair » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:46 pm

Can anyone explain why this is happening? I have two mothers whose settings are identical including the oscillator frequency. I then connect the gate output of Mother#1 to the gate input of mother#2, and the KB output of mother#1 to the VCO 1v/octave input of mother#2. When I press any key of mother #1, mother #2 plays one octave lower. Why doesn't it play the same frequency and octave as mother#1?
Sculptair

CrossModthis

Re: Mother#2 plays one octave lower?

Post by CrossModthis » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:50 pm

Have you set the root or base not as the same on both of them?

Sculptair

Post by Sculptair » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:04 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by "root or base note", but both oscillators are set to the same frequency, the same octave, and the "C" key has been pressed on both of them to produce exactly the same note.
Sculptair

CrossModthis

Post by CrossModthis » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:42 am

Sculptair wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by "root or base note", but both oscillators are set to the same frequency, the same octave, and the "C" key has been pressed on both of them to produce exactly the same note.
That's what I meant. This hasn't happened to me, but let me try to replicate when I get home in a few hours.

CrossModthis

Post by CrossModthis » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:35 pm

Sculptair wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by "root or base note", but both oscillators are set to the same frequency, the same octave, and the "C" key has been pressed on both of them to produce exactly the same note.
Just so we're on the same page - you're plugging the oscillator wave from the one mother into the external in of the other, yes? I'm doing this and the octaves are tuned correctly.

Sculptair

Post by Sculptair » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:33 pm

Thank you CrossModThis.
Sculptair wrote:Just so we're on the same page - you're plugging the oscillator wave from the one mother into the external in of the other, yes? I'm doing this and the octaves are tuned correctly.
No. If I duplicate your scenario and connect an oscillator output from Mother#1 to the Ext. Audio of Mother #2, plus connect the Gate output of Mother#1 to the Gate input of Mother#2, and turn the Mother#2 Mix fully clockwise, then both mothers are playing the 1 oscillator of Mother#1 so of course they would sound the identical pitch and octave.

In your scenario if you turn the Mother#2 Mix fully counterclockwise you will hear that while it's oscillator it is triggered by a keypress on Mother#1, it's pitch and octave do not track to a keypress or sequence on Mother#1. In this scenario you are not playing a two oscillator synth, but a single oscillator through two synths... which could be cool, but not what I'm trying to do.

As stated in my initial post...
Sculptair wrote:I then connect the gate output of Mother#1 to the gate input of mother#2, and the KB output of mother#1 to the VCO 1v/octave input of mother#2.
This should give me a two oscillator synth where the second oscillator could be de-tuned or set to a different interval like a fifth, etc. which should track perfectly with a key press or a sequence on Mother#1. The problem is as first stated,
Sculptair wrote:When I press any key of mother #1, mother #2 plays one octave lower. Why doesn't it play the same frequency and octave as mother#1?
Sculptair

CrossModthis

Post by CrossModthis » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:56 pm

Not sure if you got your M32 #1 and #2 crossed up in your post, but I am doing this:

Let's say The M32 you want to play is #1. The one you want to use as a second oscillator is #2.

Saw/Pulse Wave out from #2 into EXT in to #1. use the mixer to 50% to blend.

Gate out of #1 to Gate in #2.

KB out #1 to 1v/oct #2.

Assuming the pouch frequency is at 50% or middle for both mothers. maybe detune #2 a little bit.

This what I've always done. I haven't tried NOT sending the SAW/PULSE wave into the 1st mother and letting it pass to my external mixer.

Let me know if i'm misunderstanding.
Sculptair wrote:Thank you CrossModThis.
Sculptair wrote:Just so we're on the same page - you're plugging the oscillator wave from the one mother into the external in of the other, yes? I'm doing this and the octaves are tuned correctly.
No. If I duplicate your scenario and connect an oscillator output from Mother#1 to the Ext. Audio of Mother #2, plus connect the Gate output of Mother#1 to the Gate input of Mother#2, and turn the Mother#2 Mix fully clockwise, then both mothers are playing the 1 oscillator of Mother#1 so of course they would sound the identical pitch and octave.

In your scenario if you turn the Mother#2 Mix fully counterclockwise you will hear that while it's oscillator it is triggered by a keypress on Mother#1, it's pitch and octave do not track to a keypress or sequence on Mother#1. In this scenario you are not playing a two oscillator synth, but a single oscillator through two synths... which could be cool, but not what I'm trying to do.

As stated in my initial post...
Sculptair wrote:I then connect the gate output of Mother#1 to the gate input of mother#2, and the KB output of mother#1 to the VCO 1v/octave input of mother#2.
This should give me a two oscillator synth where the second oscillator could be de-tuned or set to a different interval like a fifth, etc. which should track perfectly with a key press or a sequence on Mother#1. The problem is as first stated,
Sculptair wrote:When I press any key of mother #1, mother #2 plays one octave lower. Why doesn't it play the same frequency and octave as mother#1?

Sculptair

Post by Sculptair » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:27 pm

Oh that's beautiful! ...a 2 oscillator synth! So with them tuned to the same pitch it's easy to set M32#2 to a different interval, or even an octave, with a press of a key. Nice. Thx for sharing that.

I guess what I stumbled into with my setup was two synths, the second one being triggered by the first. Each audio out to a multi-input amp. The octave change is still a question though...
Sculptair