Sync of 2 mother 32 oscillators

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
nritchie89

Sync of 2 mother 32 oscillators

Post by nritchie89 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:39 am

Hi,

I bought two Mothers with the vision in mid that I would have 2 oscillators to join together and have them play through the one VCA.

I have not been able to achieve this, have spent considerable amount of time attempting it and searching online and have tried everything that I can seem to find on explaining it but I am not getting the desired result I want.

I am wandering if it can actually be done or if I am barking up the wrong tree?

I apologise for the lack of knowledge but I think I have maybe went out of my depth by purchasing modular equipment and am totally alien to it.

Many thanks,

Nick

sin night

Re: Sync of 2 mother 32 oscillators

Post by sin night » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:25 am

The simplest solution is to patch the VCO Saw or VCO Pulse output of the second Mother-32 into the Ext Audio input of the first Mother-32 and then adjust the mix knob to balance between the two oscillators. Of course, you will need to patch the KB output of the first Mother-32 into the VCO 1V/Oct input of the second Mother 32 in order to track the pitch (otherwise the second oscillator will play always the same note).

To adjust the pitch interval between the two oscillators, press a note on the second Mother-32 in order to offset it (for example, if you want to play a classic "fifths" sound, press the G note button on the second Mother-32, then play using the first Mother-32).

This is just the start, but once you understand this, everything will be much easier... :)

By the way, this is mixing two oscillators together (and having both of them tracking the pitch). I would not use the word sync, because it usually refers to oscillators [hard] sync (if you want an example of what is the hard sync, look at the sadly discontinued MF-107). Unfortunately, the Mother-32 doesn't support oscillators syncing.
MacMini 5.1 (mid 2011) i5 16GB OSX 10.13; Minitaur, GrandMother, 2x Mother 32, MF-101/102/103/104M/105M/107/108M, MF-Boost, MF-Drive; Roland Studio Capture, Motu microLite, 2x microExpress, iConnectMIDI4+, ESI M4U EX, Maschine Mikro, Cubase 10.

nritchie89

Re: Sync of 2 mother 32 oscillators

Post by nritchie89 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:47 am

Thanks very much for the reply mate.

This is much better now, time to really get to grips and learn :)