Mother 32 and MS2000 clock sync

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
zatch

Mother 32 and MS2000 clock sync

Post by zatch » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:17 am

I'm posting
1. Hoping for a better solution to sync my M32 to my Korg MS2000 and
2. To pass along what I've figured out, if anyone else is having the same issue.

I'm new to the mother 32 and absolutely love it but one of my main reasons for buying it, was to sync it to my Korg MS2000. I use the ms2k on stage with a band for it's digital pleasantries, 4 voice polyphony, recallable patches, and digital BPM settings (our drummer plays to a click.)

When I first connected via midi, I couldn't get the mother to read the clock from the ms2k, though, notes, pitch bend and other midi messages were fine. (the ms2k WAS set to internal clock and midi channel 1)

I finally got the mother to read the clock by switching the "tempo input" on the patchbay to "single clock advance mode" in setup, THEN, temporarily patching the tempo input to the noise output. This would finally make the tempo LED flash green (signifying midi clock) at maximum speed and make the tempo/gate length knob function as a clock divider, synced to the ms2k's tempo. Also, once synced, it's still pretty hard to get both synths to start on the same "beat 1." (this could just be my fault, I guess. Looking for input.)

This doesn't seem, to me, like the way this is supposed to work and it's not very practical for live performance. I'd love to hear from someone who has experience with these two synths, or just knows more about it than I do.