Tempo Issue

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
ccaddy

Tempo Issue

Post by ccaddy » Thu May 18, 2017 10:32 pm

iMother 32 manual says tempo can be from 40-whatever it was - I am looking to get a tempo down round 60 on a basic patch and can not go lower than 80. What am i doing wrong? Simple set up... no modulation. Basic sequencer beat activated and can not go lower than 80 with temno knob all the way left. ???? How can I get the 40 they speak of?

ccaddy

Re: Tempo Issue

Post by ccaddy » Fri May 19, 2017 2:56 pm

Anyone? SHow me 40 BPM? 80 is all I can get. ANyone?

ccaddy

Post by ccaddy » Fri May 19, 2017 2:56 pm

Only looking for 70 actually...but I see no way to adjust this clock.

ccaddy

Post by ccaddy » Fri May 19, 2017 4:18 pm

Maybe it is because I made a save of a pattern before on this sequencer location.??? GUess I will go check on a pattern way down that I have not gotten to and see if starting the sequencer fresh on a fresh slot will show a BPM of 40 - 270 (or whatever the fast tops out at)...Looking for 60 and just not sure how I can not get lower than 80...but so far every slot has beat at 80 at the low end. Afgter reading every thread on this forum regarding the 32 - I see my chances of a REPLY OR INSIGHT are very slim. So I will stop talking to myself now.

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Fri May 19, 2017 11:30 pm

You can always send a pulse signal to the tempo input at whatever speed you want to, couldn't you?
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat May 20, 2017 7:47 am

Welcome to the forum ccaddy :)

The tempo is given in "quarter notes". I won't give a full music theory class here and now, but basically, that's the beat you finger tap when listening to a track. Usually the electronic instrument sequencers allow to set 16th notes, meaning notes 4 times shorter than the quarter notes. That's why you can enter 4 of them between to finger taps.
Guys, I won't argue with anyone chiming in and mentioning blues and 6/8 bars :p

Now, if you cannot get to 40 and fell you're at 80, my best bet is that you should double the time of eah note of your sequence... hence making is twice as long, i.e. 32 steps where it is 16 now.
I'm not familiar with the Mother32 but if it does not allow for 32-step patterns, you may need two patterns to achieve that.

Hope this helps mate :)

ccaddy

Post by ccaddy » Sat May 20, 2017 3:21 pm

Thank you for the replies. I get the note division. But if Moog says it can beat between 40-240 then I should be able to power it on and create a simple pulse patch with no modulation and as I activate a fresh sequencer patch (never used space before)... the tempo potentiometer should then make the beat 40 at far left and whatever at far right. I get 80 at left and no amount of patching or manipulation in two days, including patching in from a Microbrute, as well as my current attempts to sync in Logic x, will achieve a BPM lower than 80.
I am currently going through tutorials on going out of logic to my Interface - to my keyboard controler to the Moog (since there is no direct USB connection. Soon I will work on going out of a MDI enabled Microbrute in Logic to the Moog by CV hoping to control, somehow (maybe as stated above) to slow the BPM down in the MOther below 80. I am hoping to get a sync in BPM between all. Somehow. Was going to add Maths and more to the Mother...but maybe I need some kind of CLOCK? To be able to get the Brute and 32 on the same beat regularly??? Was hoping I could send a clock out from logic to all to force a lower BPM...but instead of music I will continue to spend the usual vast amount of time in research and engineering!
But the simple fact that they say it has a tempo from 40 to whatever - makes me think something is wrong with the unit. I emailed Moog - nothing. But thanks for chiming in here to shed some light on it for me.

ccaddy

Post by ccaddy » Wed May 31, 2017 4:20 pm

Crickets from all around. No Moog support. Boo. Want to get a slow droning BPM..less than 80. But maybe I need to get a clock module like Pamela's WOrkout...adjust the BPM and send to multiples...

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed May 31, 2017 4:44 pm

Honestly, I'm not sure what the problem is.

If you set a step active every 4 steps, and the tempo knob all the way left, does it sound like 80 BPM?

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:34 pm

I don't understand either why you can't go lower than 80.

After making a test, when syncing it as a slave to Ableton Live, it goes down as far as 20. If I set it at 60 and compare it with the internal tempo, I have to set the Tempo knob on the Mother-32 to around 9 o'clock to set it to the same speed. Of course it is able to go down to 40 on its own

Maybe you programmed a sequence in a subdivision? Sort of using eight notes instead of quarter notes, so the sequence is playing at double speed
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

Woiperdinger

Post by Woiperdinger » Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:00 pm

I am having the same (or similar) problem.
My tempo control is also quite fast in its slowest position.
At Zero, it is around 80bpm on a 1 step sequence pulse.
As I turn the knob up nothing happens until 11:00, then the tempo jumps up to 100bpm and the control works fine from 11:00 to maximum.
It is not a slow, even taper when turning the tempo down. At 11:00 it jumps a bit and nothing happens between 11:00 and minimum.
Also, my swing control is acting strange, 50% swing (no swing) isn't found at 12:00, it is at 2:30.
Anyone else having or had the same issues?
Maybe someone has a solution?

Cheers!

PahaAgentti

Post by PahaAgentti » Sun May 01, 2022 1:16 pm

I have same problem as Woiperdinger. Tempo knob works only from around halfway to the maximum. It used to work normally though.

Scheffer

Post by Scheffer » Thu May 12, 2022 7:21 am

All this may have to do with the setting of the "clock division value" (page 54 of the manual), and/or, in some cases, the setting of the PPQN (page 59), sent or received.