Mother 32 + Micromoog Help

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
wiggies

Mother 32 + Micromoog Help

Post by wiggies » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:36 am

Hello, I am trying to figure out what I need to do to integrate my vintage micromoog with my M32 setup. I know that I need a converter cable for s-trig/gate, and that the micromoog is scaled to about 0.95 v/oct.

Since I am looking to expand into more eurorack modules, would a simple attenuator module suffice to scale the pitch cv from the M32 so the micromoog oscillator would correctly track?

And more generally, are the control voltage ranges compatible between the two, or will I need attenuation throughout?

Stevie Ray

Re: Mother 32 + Micromoog Help

Post by Stevie Ray » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:27 pm

I have the same problem with my Moog Voyager Old School which tracks at around 0.93v/Oct. The problem is well known and Moog could have fixed this issue quite simply, for pennies, but they didn't.

Moog, for some insane reason decided it was "unimportant" that the oscillators tracked at precisely 1v/Oct. Internally the instrument is consistent and in tune. That's all well and good until your connect anything else to the pitch CV inputs - including another Minimoog.

You can fix this on the VOS by opening it up and replacing a resistor with one of a different value.

There may be a similar procedure that would help with the Micromoog, but you'll have to look into that yourself.

A simple passive attenuator won't do the job very well. It might work over a limited range of notes but the amount of attenuation would be non-linear (depending on the control voltage) and your Micromoog probably wouldn't track pitch very well. There are plenty of active 'attenuverters' in the Eurorack market and with very careful adjustment maybe you can get the tracking right.

Moog made 1v/Oct a standard then decided it wasn't a big deal for some of their products.