Mother 32 Receiving MIDI Clock but Not Notes

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
note!

Mother 32 Receiving MIDI Clock but Not Notes

Post by note! » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:43 am

Hello!
So I've been loving my Mother for months now and recently decided to expand with a couple modules (Disting Mk3, Mutable Instrument Tides, Intellijel Buff Mult). I popped everything in to a Tip Top Happy Ending Kit. I recased the Mother, plugged everything in, all powered on and has been working like a charm for a few days.

During this time, I've been using MIDI clock sync from Cubase and it's been working flawlessly.

However, I went to try and send some MIDI notes and the Mother is no longer receiving MIDI notes. The LED is not lighting up. Nothing is happening. Prior to recasing everything was working fine. I checked the exact same cable with another synth - same setup in Cubase - and everything works properly with the other synth.

Is it possible that something was damaged during the recasing such that the Mom can receive MIDI clock but not note? Is there some setting I might have screwed up?

Thanks for any help! Would appreciate it before I hit up Moog support.

note!

Re: Mother 32 Receiving MIDI Clock but Not Notes

Post by note! » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:04 am

I should also add that, after I noticed the issue, I returned the Mother to it's OEM case - guessing it could be a power issue. No luck. thanks for any help!

Suspish

Post by Suspish » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:51 pm

From what I recall, when MIDI clock is sent, it disables the local and midi keyboard control until the sequence is started. If you want to control it locally, or with a MIDI controller, you need to hit the start/stop sequence button on the Mother in order to re-activate local control (this would include playing with a midi keyboard).

I think it may be a one or the other issue. You can either have it receive MIDI clock, or play the keyboard locally (internal butttons or MIDI note messages), but not both. I haven't set it up in a Eurorack format, however, and could be wrong on exactly how that works, but that is the behavior I experienced when syncing to a MIDI clock.

note!

Post by note! » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:53 pm

Thanks! Yeah, unfortunately, it's not receiving even when the MIDI sequence is sent then is started locally - that used to be how I get it to respond to note data. I've contacted Moog but they aren't super quick..

Anybody else come across this issue?

droppedpianos

Post by droppedpianos » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:31 pm

Hi guys,

i just wanna know if you can help me.
I'm going out via MIDI from the sequencer, into my vermona perfourmer and then with midi through to the moog mother.
I want my mother to receive midi clock only, not notes! Is that possible?
I only wanna play the vermona with the midi keyboard, not both.
I know that different midi channels are a possibility, but atm it's not possible here.

Best
Niklas

Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:04 pm

The Mother 32's MIDI socket is on a tiny little sub board of its own, with its own tiny, fragile cable connector to the main board.

Check that nothing has gone out of whack with the little sub-board cable connector.

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:29 pm

If it receives clock I think the hardware is working, ain't it?
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:08 pm

bichuelo wrote:If it receives clock I think the hardware is working, ain't it?
Yes. If it's getting clock then that suggests that the hardware is good.

Muzza-32

Post by Muzza-32 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:06 am

I'm also experiencing this problem, and starting and stopping the on-board sequencer doesn't appear to reset the MIDI so that it can receive note data.

The controller I've been using for it is quite an old Roland synth (as I don't have any USB to 5-pin midi leads), so I had been putting it down to that. Maybe that isn't the problem though! Anyone else?

toper

Post by toper » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:12 pm

Is the red light flashing at all when you send a note to the synth? Like does it appear to even be getting the signal? Also, make sure the MIDI out is sending to the right channel and that the Mother-32 is on the same channel too, I had an instance where I had switched the channel on my MIDI out and it wouldn't communicate.

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:39 pm

I just tried sending Clock+Notes from Sub 37 and Ableton Live and everything works fine here

Have you tried to contact support yet?
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

dryersheets

Post by dryersheets » Wed May 31, 2017 11:40 pm

im having the same problem. My mother is not recognizing my keystep when i play keys, but when i hit play on the keystep it will play/stop a sequence

Mitchell Rays

Post by Mitchell Rays » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:20 am

dryersheets wrote:im having the same problem. My mother is not recognizing my keystep when i play keys, but when i hit play on the keystep it will play/stop a sequence

You Probably figured it out already. But I just figured it out. You'd have to change the midi channel on your keystep to channel 1. You do that by holding the SHIFT and pressing the lowest key (midi channel 1) then it should work just fine.

selimozturk

Post by selimozturk » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:14 am

Hello

I am new to moog mother 32 world

I want to write a sequence to my moog and then play it from my protools at my session tempo

what should I do to set this by MIDI

Thanks

Smithkid

Post by Smithkid » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:59 am

Did anyone manage to resolve this? I’m having the same issue - the Mother is receiving clock but no Note On. Using Logic and a Komplete Kontrol. When I press a key the sequencer starts but different keys don’t transpose the pattern and at no time will a note play without the sequencer via the midi controller.