Pitch Bend with a Midi Keyboard Wheel

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
mburgh

Pitch Bend with a Midi Keyboard Wheel

Post by mburgh » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:54 pm

Can anybody tell me how to use pitch bend with my Mother 32 midi with my Kurzweil 2600? Thanks.

potts1970

Re: Pitch Bend with a Midi Keyboard Wheel

Post by potts1970 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:24 pm

it should already read and respond to pitch bend. I have my controller plugged directly into 2 M32s (2nd one via CV) and pitch bend is spot on. Is Pitch bend out via MIDI disabled on your 2600?

Chapter 10 of the manual says to call up the TRANSMIT Page.Here's what it says:

Press the XMIT soft button, and the TRANSMIT page appears. Use these parameters to control
how the K2600 sends MIDI information to its MIDI Out port. These settings to some extent affect
the K2600Õs response to its own keyboard and controllers, but they primarily affect the
responses of other MIDI devices that are receiving MIDI from the K2600 on the channel
speciÞed with the Channel parameter on this page.
It's important to remember that many of the settings of the TRANSMIT page are in effect only
when a program is selected, either in Program mode or in Quick Access mode. If a setup is
selected, in Setup mode or in Quick Access mode, the setupÕs MIDI settings override the
corresponding settings on the TRANSMIT page.

When looking at the TRANSMIT page does "CONTROL" say BOTH? Meaning controlling internal sounds AND external MIDI units? If not then change it to BOTH and try it again.

Another thing: if you have the MIDI cable plugged into the M32, when you sweep the pitch bend wheel the MIDI In indicator light on the M32 should stay on the whole time you are moving the wheel. If the light doesn't blink then you are not sending MIDI pitch data out your 2600 and the above fix may help. I don't own a 2600 but I downloaded the manual to look if there was a way to disable the sending of pitch data. That chapter 10 is where I found that setting. I hope this helps!

mburgh

Post by mburgh » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:54 am

Thanks for your reply. I have checked the XMIT and tried what you have suggested. The Midi light does respond when I use the pitch bend, but the M32 does not respond, although the K2600 program does. In my DAW, Logic, the K2600 wheels work. So far, though, I'm not getting any pitch bend from the K2600.

potts1970

Post by potts1970 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:20 am

Sorry for the long time to reply, I haven't been here in a bit.

In searching around the web, it linked back here to someone who wanted to change their MIDI pitch bend range from an octave above and below to 2 half steps: http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=25617

If your DAW sent out a MIDI string of data that was for another piece of gear (MIDI file downloaded from the web or something) the M32 could have received that MIDI data and set it's bend range to 0. The above forum post should reset that, bearing in mind you can change the range if you want (12 was default)

Another thing is if you have any other MIDI controller, or a friend does, bring your M32 over and see if it bends properly with their controller. Then you can at least identify the culprit as the Kurzweil or the M32