slight rustle when I turn potentiometer CUT OFF

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
LoopLov3

slight rustle when I turn potentiometer CUT OFF

Post by LoopLov3 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:49 am

I hear a slight rustle when I turn potentiometer CUT OFF between 20 and 200 HZ.
Does anyone have the same problem?
Peace and love

LoopLov3

yitic

Re: slight rustle when I turn potentiometer CUT OFF

Post by yitic » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:13 am

I just noticed this at around the 1:00 position on mine. It does it with the default patch in both high and low filter mode. I've had it for months now and I swear it wasn't there before. I hope someone has some insight for us.

Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:02 pm

Sounds like typical 'crap' (dust/dirt/debris) on the potentiometer track.

Sweep the cut-off pot rapidly up and down through the full travel several times. Keep on doing that and see if the 'rustle' diminishes.

If it doesn't then, it's a warranty job I'm afraid - unless you are experienced with electronics and don't mind voiding the warranty.

andyfromdenver

Post by andyfromdenver » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:58 am

if it was never there before and only just started, hopefully just debris.
if it was there since first purchase (new) possibly DC voltage on the pot.
it could also be some interaction with resonance (hard to say without hearing the exact sound you describe).

hopefully the first :-)

i've yet to pop the cover of mine or look for gut shots. perhaps the pots can be carefully cleaned/ blown out?

I work the knobs (gross) pretty hard on my gear for live performance, and a few of my kybds need pot replacement due to "rustle-ing" it's ok live but not ok for recording.

aelita

Post by aelita » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:35 pm

Hi everyone,

Got the same issue than LoopLov3 unfortunately.
Don´t really know much about electronics so i thought about returning the product to the shop i bought it from since it´s still under waranty.
Thing is : their warranty policy states that defective potentiometers aren`t covered considering it´s due to wear. Synth is (only) one year old...
Any advice?
Thanks

silent_h

Post by silent_h » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:27 pm

Try this: http://a.co/604Nvr6

As a bonus, it really lubricates the potentiometers and they move very smooth afterwards. I notice that if I don't use mine for a week or so it does have that crackle/rustle at first, but it goes away after I turn it back and forth a few times. Maybe I just need to spray some more of that stuff in there (I only did a couple drops).

mightlife

Post by mightlife » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:40 am

silent_h wrote:Try this: http://a.co/604Nvr6

As a bonus, it really lubricates the potentiometers and they move very smooth afterwards. I notice that if I don't use mine for a week or so it does have that crackle/rustle at first, but it goes away after I turn it back and forth a few times. Maybe I just need to spray some more of that stuff in there (I only did a couple drops).
Some say that DeOxit dissolves all the grease (some might be necessary for certain pots - not sure about the Mother).

I have the same problem with my M32.

OP, have you tried the direct sound from the synth? When it happened to me, I plugged my headphones into the VCA out or audio out and the rustle wasn't there. I think it was coming from my cheap arse mixer - if that's possible.

mightlife

Post by mightlife » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:14 pm

mightlife wrote:OP, have you tried the direct sound from the synth? When it happened to me, I plugged my headphones into the VCA out or audio out and the rustle wasn't there. I think it was coming from my cheap arse mixer - if that's possible.
Actually, that's rubbish. I'm still having the same problem with what seems like a 'dusty' pot.
One thing that makes it difficult is the fact that the problem is intermittent and not consistently easy to reproduce.

Is there a 'Moog-approved pot cleaner'?

silent_h

Post by silent_h » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:03 pm

mightlife wrote: Some say that DeOxit dissolves all the grease (some might be necessary for certain pots - not sure about the Mother).
Yikes! I sure hope that isn't the case. Can someone from Moog chime in here?

mightlife

Post by mightlife » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:55 pm

An update:
When I decided to contact my local service station here in Spain, I realised that they are based in a town close to where I work occasionally.
So I visited them today and the friendly folks (especially Juan) at Mas Acoustics mentioned that this problem happened with the Little Phatty and Sub37, so Moog changed the pot from plastic to metal.

Juan helped me out and contacted Taylor at Moog about a recommended contact cleaner and possible other solution to the problem. The reply -
"Moog: We have seen this a couple of times, it’s unfortunate but the pots are sealed so they must be replaced unless the customer wants to undergo very careful surgery.

We can happily send you some on your next order in case this comes up again
."

He has also offered to at least try putting some contact cleaner on the pot, failing that, we might replace it.
I'll keep the thread updated.

mightlife

Post by mightlife » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:09 pm

Okay, so yesterday I re-visited Juan at Mas Acoustics in Rubí with the front panel of my Mother 32 and some CRC Contact Cleaner. He used it on the offending CutOff pot.

Previously I had also noticed a problem which produces similar a sounding problem to the 'dusty pot' issue - that the cut off was sounding almost 'digital' and 'stepping' over certain frequencies. Juan told me that this was definitely to do with the pot (which would need replacing) and could not be solved by the contact cleaner.

However, after a couple of evening's worth of twistage, the CutOff response is smooth!
I'll hold off on saying that the problem is solved until I've had at least a week of use of it, but things sound good and smooth.

SlowLFOtoPitch

Post by SlowLFOtoPitch » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:00 am

The most thorough solution is to replace the pot, but often times this isn't completely necessary. You should be able to exercise the pot and get a smooth response. Because the pots are sealed, it is likely just some carbon on the track ;)
TAYLOR MOTT
SERVICE DEPARTMENT MANAGER
MOOG MUSIC INC.

P: (828) 251.0090 ext. (217)
Fax: (828) 254.6233

mightlife

Post by mightlife » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:55 pm

SlowLFOtoPitch wrote:The most thorough solution is to replace the pot, but often times this isn't completely necessary. You should be able to exercise the pot and get a smooth response. Because the pots are sealed, it is likely just some carbon on the track ;)
Thanks, but as I already quoted from one of your colleagues: "We have seen this a couple of times, it’s unfortunate but the pots are sealed so they must be replaced unless the customer wants to undergo very careful surgery.

We can happily send you some on your next order in case this comes up again
."

The problem persists to some degree and once the pot has arrived at the service shop, I'm going to have it replaced.

silent_h

Post by silent_h » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:25 pm

OK so while my 'rustle' seems to have been helped by the DeoxIT F5, I have lost all of that nice smooth feel of the knob. I then purchased some of the DeoxIT F100 Fader Lube to attempt to get some of that feel back. It just made it slippery, and not as smooth as I had hoped. I even noticed that the knob wobbled a little bit compared to the others. Not sure if that's because I use it more or if it's related to the DeoxIT.

Thankfully, Moog is awesome and offered to replace the pot under warranty (I'm within the first year) due to the original rustle problem. I just had to pay shipping to them.

Moral of the story is: if I could do it all over again, I would *NOT* use any spray on there. While it was nice having it super easy to turn quickly, I prefer the original factory feel. If you want to make it a little bit slippery, I'd guess (not confirmed) that you could just use the F100, which is purely the lubricant and nothing that eats away at anything. Not sure if I want to test anything else at this point lol.