Changing default pitch bend value

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
Suspish

Changing default pitch bend value

Post by Suspish » Tue May 17, 2016 3:01 pm

Hi there,

I have looked around for answers on how to change the default pitch bend range on the Mother, but am not having any luck. The manual is a little unclear on this, in my view.
MIDI PITCH BEND
MIDI pitch bend messages are added to, or subtracted from the Keyboard CV signal. The Mother-32
default Pitch Bend amount is +/-1 Octave. MIDI Pitch Bend can be output as a -5V to +5V signal on the
Assignable output. This is programmed in Setup mode. See Page 50 for details on assigning Pitch Bend
to the Assignable output jack. MIDI Pitch Bend amount can be set from +/-0 to +/-12 semitones using
MIDI Pitch Bend Depth RPN (CC101 value 0, CC100 value 0, CC6 values 0 to 12)
I'm not sure if it is possible, but I would like to change the default pitch bend range to +/- 2 semitones. My goal is to use this as a third oscillator with my Sub 37, and have several patches with only a +/- 2 semitone pitch bend range. Ideally, I can figure out a way to set this, so if i have different patches with different pitch bend ranges, i can reconfigure the Mother to work with each.

As far as I know, this may not even be possible, but if anyone knows how to achieve this, i would appreciate any help. Thanks.

drb

Re: Changing default pitch bend value

Post by drb » Wed May 18, 2016 8:36 am

Suspish,

Yes, it is possible to set the pitch bend to + / - 2 semitones. I have done it with my 2 Mother-32's. The manual is correct, but RPN messages are not used as often as other MIDI messages. RPN is an acronym for Registered Parameter Number. It is really a sequence of CC commands. To do what you want, you need to send three CC commands in sequence to the Mother-32.

CC 101 with a value of 0
CC 100 with a value of 0
CC 6 with a value of 2

The first 2 CC command mean that you want to change the pitch bend range. The 3rd has the value you want to change it to.

Optionally, you can then send

CC 101 value 127
CC 100 value 127

with means you are finished setting that parameter.

See

https://midi.org/specifications/item/ta ... ta-bytes-2

for more details.

Hope this helps,

dry

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed May 18, 2016 9:52 am

Suspish wrote:I have looked around for answers on how to change the default Pitch Bend Range on the Mother, but am not having any luck. The manual is a little unclear on this, in my view...As far as I know, this may not even be possible, but if anyone knows how to achieve this, I would appreciate any help.
Hi Suspish,

You included the answer in your own post:
MIDI PITCH BEND
MIDI pitch bend messages are added to, or subtracted from the Keyboard CV signal. The Mother-32
default Pitch Bend amount is +/-1 Octave... MIDI Pitch Bend amount can be set from +/-0 to +/-12 semitones using
MIDI Pitch Bend Depth RPN (CC101 value 0, CC100 value 0, CC6 values 0 to 12)
Via an external MIDI source (DAW, MIDI Controller, etc.) send your Mother:
CC#101 with a value of 0
CC#100 with a value of 0
CC#66 with a value between 0 and 12 (for +/-0 to +/-12 semitones of Pitch Bend depth)

Hope this helps,
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

Suspish

Post by Suspish » Wed May 18, 2016 12:41 pm

Thank you. The way that was written was unclear. i thought that was only to set the value going out on the assign cv jack, but it makes sense that would be the same as what it responds to when pitch bend is applied. Thank you for the help.

insomnia

Post by insomnia » Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:13 pm

Are these changes stored on the device?