Daisy chain

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
analoguemechanic

Daisy chain

Post by analoguemechanic » Thu May 05, 2016 5:25 pm

Hi can I daisy chain one power supply to run 2 M32s?

Vsyevolod

Re: Daisy chain

Post by Vsyevolod » Sat May 07, 2016 9:26 pm

Nope.

Stephen

Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray » Sun May 08, 2016 8:39 pm

You can't 'daisy-chain' the supplied 'wall wart' to power more than one mother. You'll overload it. Why do want to do this anyway? Makes no sense.

chysn

Post by chysn » Sun May 15, 2016 6:51 am

Stevie Ray wrote:You can't 'daisy-chain' the supplied 'wall wart' to power more than one mother. You'll overload it. Why do want to do this anyway? Makes no sense.
The "why" makes plenty of sense. Parallel power cords are frequently used by guitar pedal rigs, but you can power a few pedals with a 1A transformer. It's done because wall warts are unwieldy, with multiple transformers often spanning multiple outlets. A detached transformer with high enough amperage to support three Mothers with a parallel power cable would be a great convenience. It's technically possible if you can find the right power supply, 12V, center-positive, around 4000mA, like the transformers that power closed-circuit video cameras.
Moog: Little Phatty Stage II (Red) w/ CV Outs, Mother-32
Hardware: DSI Evolver, Arturia MicroBrute, Korg Volca Beats
Software: OSX, Reaper 5 (DAW), MuseScore (Notation)

analoguemechanic

Post by analoguemechanic » Sun May 15, 2016 6:03 pm

Thanks chysn I'll search one out. Trying to de-clutter my studio and cut down on EMR and induction hum.

mikeh11

Post by mikeh11 » Sun May 15, 2016 7:57 pm

I've bought from All-Electronics and AdaFruit before; they're good places to shop. They both list power supplies that sound like they might work; but the supplies are switchers - will that generate too much noise? Is Moog's supply a linear one?

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-st ... ies/1.html
https://www.adafruit.com/categories/874
https://www.adafruit.com/products/352
http://www.powerstream.com/ac-1245.htm

You'll still need a cable adapter to split the pig-lead to the three Mothers. Are there stomp-box accessories that do that already?
Sorry for the drive-by post. I'm scuttling back to the Sub37 forum now.
MBP 2012 | OS X 10.11.6 | Sub 37 #6768

rplktr

Post by rplktr » Sun May 15, 2016 8:14 pm

That's not really a direct answer to your question but you could put your Moms in a eurorack case, which would then use a single wall power plug.

ohjelo

Post by ohjelo » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:41 am

Bumping this. Can anybody here confirm if it's ok to daisy chain? If yes, how do you do it without going the eurorack module case?
• Is there a specific adapter cable
• Is there a power supply like 1spot

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:14 pm

I can say from direct experience of having a custom-made triple Mother-32 power supply box built:

Each M-32 pulls a surprising amount of current on power up.

We had to go and modify the external power supply three times to provide enough initial ooomph to get a Mother-32 started.

And, even then, you still have to plug each of the M-32s in separately.

If you leave all three plugged in and just plug the power supply into the wall, then none of the M-32s will boot up.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

Locosynth

Daisy Chain power for M32 DFAM

Post by Locosynth » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:36 am

I am powering 2 M32 and 1 DFAM with the included power supply split using a guitar pedal daisy chain adapter. They work great. Each board according to Modular grid used 230 mA so three draws 690 mA leaving plenty of headroom on a 1200 mA adapter. It works fine. I’ve had no problems.

natehorn

Post by natehorn » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:39 pm

Like Loco I've been powering two units with one adapter and haven't noticed any issues - it's well within the tolerances of the equipment so there shoudn't be a problem. I have a DFAM and a Subharmonicon which combined have a draw of no more than 600ma - the adapters that come with them (at least in the UK), are 1.2A, that's double the amperage required which is more than enough headroom. I use a standard guitar pedal daisy chain, with right-angled adapters (which on their own are pretty essential for stacked moog 60hps so your cables aren't sticking up into the air)

Now if anyone can tell me where I can get a 5.5x2.5 connector daisy chain cable then I can finally combine my 2 15v adapters!