Religious

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
bmurphyhd28

Religious

Post by bmurphyhd28 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:51 pm

I picked up a Mother-32 tonight after selling my Sub Phatty. I loved the sub, but I wanted to go in a different direction. Tonight I had what can only be described as a religious experience. I've already said the sub Phatty was great, but this took my imagination to new heights. I only had one patch installed too, to give resonance to the high pass filter. I recorded about 18 minutes of a continuous take of my just exploring. There is so much packed in here. Now to get that guitar sold and get another Mother!

Stevie Ray

Re: Religious

Post by Stevie Ray » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:56 pm

Wow! Glad you find the Mother so inspiring. I'd hold off on selling that guitar though. I'm a poor guitarist but I find that there's nothing quite like it for sitting on the couch and coming up with ideas. Balancing a keyboard on my knees just isn't the same!

Vondragonnoggin

Post by Vondragonnoggin » Mon May 02, 2016 9:24 am

To the OP - how much do you play guitar? One synth, one guitar good for me. Be patient and save money. Get a second Mother used and then have two Mother's and your guitar.

Unless the guitar sits unused all the time. My guitars will sit for months at times, but I'm very much a synth enthusiast and have more synthesizers than guitars and they get used more.

A whole lot you can do with one Mother in the meantime.....
VCO+VCF+VCA+EG
8)

franklinstower

Post by franklinstower » Thu May 05, 2016 1:22 am

bmurphyhd28 wrote:I picked up a Mother-32 tonight after selling my Sub Phatty. I loved the sub, but I wanted to go in a different direction. Tonight I had what can only be described as a religious experience. I've already said the sub Phatty was great, but this took my imagination to new heights. I only had one patch installed too, to give resonance to the high pass filter. I recorded about 18 minutes of a continuous take of my just exploring. There is so much packed in here. Now to get that guitar sold and get another Mother!

I can completely relate to what you said but not just with the Mother 32 but with my Sub 37 also. I have been meaning to start a thread asking if there are any philosophical or scientific writings on the subject of why synthesisers can sound so amazing. The sub 37 was the first synth I have ever had and then I went on to get two mother 32's. The first time I ever just listened to a drone on the sub I just could not believe what I was hearing- I had no idea the complexity contained within a couple of oscillators. I really felt as if the sound was rewiring my brain in some way and that sound and the strange feeling of having my consciousness expanded continued into my dreams and meditations for a while after.

I did not know this before I got the sub but synthesisers are real instruments-- they are organic. I like to think of it as listening to the sound of electricity...

The sub sounds very different from the mothers. The sub makes much better smooth bass sounds and that is primarily what I use the sub 37 for in my band. The Mothers make much spookier, more complex bass drones-- it sounds like a damn storm sometimes. They are very different. When we are jamming and improvising I set the sub to play bass with the oscillators not synched and one of the LFO's set to slowly modulate the wave form on both oscillators-- it can get just amazingly interesting. The modulation and the natural drift of the two oscillators becomes part of the landscape of the song. Just incredible.

To think I almost went with a new replica of the old Rhodes bass piano as my main instrument because I thought synthesisers were synthetic.......

Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray » Thu May 05, 2016 6:46 pm

It's an interesting question.

I grew up listening to all kinds of music: classical, jazz, folk, blues, rock. Both of my parents were active musicians.

In my teens one of my friends played Wakeman's 'King Arthur' on his little hi-fi set in his bedroom and that was IT. I'd never heard anything quite like it. The soaring leads, the subterranean basses. What the hell kind of instrument is that guy playing? It's just amazing!

My musical output today is very different from Rick's but I will always look up to him as the guy who inspired me.