How to sync tempo with MIDI clock but ignore MIDI start/stop

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
jipumarino

How to sync tempo with MIDI clock but ignore MIDI start/stop

Post by jipumarino » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:54 pm

Hi,

I'd like to know if there is a way of making the Mother listen for MIDI clock events but not start/stop/continue realtime, so I can start and stop the internal sequencer by itself, but keeping it in sync with the rest. I've tried sending MIDI clock only to the Mother-32, but in that case the internal sequencer just runs with its own clock.

Thanks.

walkeracid

Re: How to sync tempo with MIDI clock but ignore MIDI start/

Post by walkeracid » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:14 pm

Check that your DAW is not sending MIDI clock out.....problem solved ;-)

jipumarino

Post by jipumarino » Fri May 06, 2016 11:29 am

Hi! Thanks for the reply.

I do want my Octatrack to send MIDI clock and Mother-32 to receive it and sync its own sequencer. What I do not want is for the Mother's sequencer to start and stop when getting MIDI start/stop/continue messages.

For now I'm using a really convoluted workaround using my iConnectMIDI and a Teensy board which solves almost all I need.

chysn

Post by chysn » Tue May 17, 2016 6:24 am

Check out the MIDI Solutions Event Processor, which you'd just place between your Octatrack and your Mother-32, very small and unobtrusive. You can filter out the Start/Stop/Continue messages while keeping the MIDI clock.

As for DAW, I use Reaper, and it's possible to turn off the Start/Stop/Continue messages while keeping the clock, from the MIDI Preferences dialog.
Moog: Little Phatty Stage II (Red) w/ CV Outs, Mother-32
Hardware: DSI Evolver, Arturia MicroBrute, Korg Volca Beats
Software: OSX, Reaper 5 (DAW), MuseScore (Notation)

mburgh

Post by mburgh » Sun May 22, 2016 9:07 pm

What DAW are you using? I've had no problems syncing up with Logic.

Gav

Post by Gav » Tue May 31, 2016 5:52 am

I too am trying to find a work around for this... and so far my iPad has been the only success. Going to try syncing it off my Eventide Space instead of Ableton.... otherwise the bloody sequence starts running every time we load a new Song session live.

hex

Post by hex » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:56 am

Yep came here looking for the answer to this. Sending a sequence from a tb-3. I tried putting a rest on the first note of the sequence of the m-32 but then it doesn't respond to the incoming midi. If you hit stop on the sequencer immediately after starting from your midi source, then it receives the incoming midi notes just fine.

It would be nice if it were possible to toggle off the midi start/stop of the sequencer on the m-32 since sometimes it isn't practical/possible on upstream gear. It's not necessarily a dealbreaker for me since everything else about it is great but it is somewhat inconvenient. Hopefully there's a setting somewhere we've missed or it can be changed in a firmware update.

zooloomuzik

Post by zooloomuzik » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:41 am

ok, so loads of us have this issue, maybe Moog will listen and implement a toggle for midi sync so we can set it to internal like you can with so many other synths.
MacBook Pro (macOS Sierra), Ableton Live, Moog Minitaur, Moog MiniFooger Drive, Roland Aira - MX-1, System-1, TR-8, TB-3, Roland JU-06, Korg Volca Bass, Korg Volca Keys, Akai MPX8, Elektron Octatrak, Social Entropy Engine (Hardware Sequencer)

tonib

Re: How to sync tempo with MIDI clock but ignore MIDI start/stop

Post by tonib » Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:39 pm

Hi All,
I think this is what's been asked for: ?:
1. Install Firmware update v2.0
2. Go into Setup mode
3. go to Page 8
4. Turn off parameter no. 2 (green light will turn off) - Follow MIDI Start/Stop
5. Exit setup mode

Wrenasmir

Re: How to sync tempo with MIDI clock but ignore MIDI start/stop

Post by Wrenasmir » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:15 pm

Tonib, this is exactly what I was looking for today - thanks so much, Firmware updated and settings applied, now it does exactly what I need it to. Champion, thanks so much.

Craig