Low volume output when mounted in Eurorack.

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
namahshaman

Low volume output when mounted in Eurorack.

Post by namahshaman » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:29 am

I've recently moved my Mother into a 6u travel case with other eurorack modules. When using the 1/8" VCA-out the Mother seems to have a significantly lower volume level than the other modules in the case. I've even tried running it through an additional VCA in an attempt to boost the signal, but not much luck. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I'm wondering if I should just remove it from the euro case, to go back to getting better sound.

dumbledog

Re: Low volume output when mounted in Eurorack.

Post by dumbledog » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:39 pm

Well if you're using the filter it will certainly be quieter than a non-filtered module -- that's the point of a filter after all. Is the volume level from the raw oscillator outs correct?

namahshaman

Post by namahshaman » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:18 pm

dumbledog wrote:Well if you're using the filter it will certainly be quieter than a non-filtered module -- that's the point of a filter after all. Is the volume level from the raw oscillator outs correct?
Haha, thanks, but that's definitely not the issue. I've checked it with the filter completely opened. Besides, even filtered the Make Noise, Mutable Instruments, and Pittsburgh modules are all much louder than the Mother.

HookedOnSonics

Post by HookedOnSonics » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:44 am

Just curious, is the Audio out of the Euro using a TRS or TS?
Moog One - A Poly Menance, SynthWars-The Rise of the Korg Apr2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, Vintage D 2016, Voyager of Sinbad XL, ClaraVox, FoogerFamilyOfSix, 3MothersLikeNoOthers, Kronos II - InstantKarma'sGonnaGetYou, Arp&theOdyssey, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, UniversalAudio&U67, Criklon2, ElektronRytmAvenueMKII

namahshaman

Post by namahshaman » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:04 am

I'm using a Pittsburgh Modular OUTs, with a standard instrument cable going to the interface.

HookedOnSonics

Post by HookedOnSonics » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:04 am

Weird, so AUDIO seems to be a hot topic for the Mothers. We checked the Pitt Mod Out and for sure, its MONO TS, which MOMS like allot ... :-). So does it sound the same with a Stereo headset on, weaker? Ok, and the really dumb question, does it go back to normal volume when you take it out of pitt and put it back into it's own turtle shell?
Moog One - A Poly Menance, SynthWars-The Rise of the Korg Apr2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, Vintage D 2016, Voyager of Sinbad XL, ClaraVox, FoogerFamilyOfSix, 3MothersLikeNoOthers, Kronos II - InstantKarma'sGonnaGetYou, Arp&theOdyssey, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, UniversalAudio&U67, Criklon2, ElektronRytmAvenueMKII

namahshaman

Post by namahshaman » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:48 am

I haven't tried headphones yet. But, the Mother's signal definitely seems stronger when it's in its own case, using the 1/4" audio-out on the back.

dumbledog

Post by dumbledog » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:19 am

That's definitely strange, and not what I'm seeing. I'm patching the VCA out at full blast into a crossfader, with a Dixie II+ sawtooth on the other end and the level is about the same. It's also the same if I use the raw sawtooth out. Only difference is that there's always a tiny bit of filter on the VCA out.

May want to check with Moog tech support.