Chaining sequence patterns into songs

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
Brewski

Chaining sequence patterns into songs

Post by Brewski » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:48 pm

I would like to chain together several sequence patterns so that I can use the Mother as my virtual bass player during a live performance. I don't see any way to automatically trigger pattern changes via internal or external controls. Do I need to do this via an external sequencer? If so, any recommendations on what to use (not a purist, CV or MIDI would be fine)? I do not want to bring a computer to a gig, so it would have to be self-sufficient. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Vondragonnoggin

Re: Chaining sequence patterns into songs

Post by Vondragonnoggin » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:03 pm

You could use one of the easy to program older sequencers bought used that does both pattern and song mode and allows chaining. In that case you would not have to program sequences on the M32, just on the sequencer itself and midi out to your M32 set to whichever midi channel you want it set to.

One of the older Roland MC style groovebox sequencers or yamaha sequencers would work great for that and not cost too much.

I have an old mc-303 that is easy to do that on and an old yamaha rm1-x that is also easy to do that on.

I think yamaha has the qy series you could find used also and do this on. Bonus if you find a sampler/sequencer, then if you want sample use, you could incorporrate that too. MPC-500, MPC-1000, RS-7000, SU-700, SU-200, MC-303, MC-505, MC-307, etc all would work.

Have to learn the device you buy though. They usually run pretty solid though. Also depending on if its a synth/sequencer, or sampler/sequencer, or all three, you get to use those features too.

I bought my rm1-x for $85 and my mc-303 for $125 used.

My primary sequencer for 9 synths at once is a Roland MV-8800 sampler and a couple mixers to mix all devices

That unit is huge though, so a smaller sequencer might be more to your liking.

I think if new, the Arturia Beatstep Pro will chain patterns into a song and only $250
VCO+VCF+VCA+EG
8)

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:34 pm

You could assign program changes to buttons on any controller and use them to change the current pattern live, without a computer or an old school sequencer too
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

Brewski

Post by Brewski » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:06 am

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'm leaning towards the Beastep Pro, as it offers both midi and CV options. I have a Boss SP-202 sampler, which I currently only use to make my kids giggle. This would open up a few other possibilities.