connecting two mothers

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
franklinstower

Re: connecting two mothers

Post by franklinstower » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:21 am

Vondragonnoggin wrote:
franklinstower wrote:
Vondragonnoggin wrote:Set the octave indicators the same - lights will be lit up in the same place on octave scale - and press one of the little keys (probably lowest key)

Incidentally thats how you transpose while sequence playing - choose octave and press whichever key in that octave scale you want

How are you patching the second to slave to the first? Are you tempo syncing too?
At present I am not using the sequencer at all -- I play bass in a jam band with my synths. Just using the first ones keyboard to pick notes to play drones in.

But why does one have to be set octaves higher than the other to play at the same octave?

I said set octaves the same, not higher.

If you are playing using external keyboard and you set the sequencer keys octave setting higher than the other and press a key inadvertently on the M32, it will transpose the notes up an octave

Why don't you try this - start both sequencers at the same octave setting (using the octave up/down buttons) and press the first little key on the m32's (lowest note) with tuning set at dead center - forget your external keyboard for a minute. Just try this and tell me if they start playing in the same octave again

I am not using an external keyboard. I said I am using the keyboard on the first mother. If I set both mothers to the same octave and press the lowest not on the keyboard on the first mother then one of the synths plays at an octave way lower than the other. Right now I have the first mother set at octave 2 and in order to get the second mother to play the same octave it has to be set at octave 5.

Vondragonnoggin

Post by Vondragonnoggin » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:10 am

All of that external keyboard or first ones keyboard is really irrelevant - did you try it anyway? Setting both sequencers going at same octave setting and pressing the lowest key on both?

You first said it was one octave higher but now it is 3 octaves higher (as your description stated first one set to octave two and second has to be set at octave five to match it)?

Is it getting worse? Again -just try pressing lowest key note on each sequencer when they are both set at same octave and both playing, with each one's pitch knob set at 12:00 - does the pitch now match? If not I guess you'll have to call Moog tech support.
VCO+VCF+VCA+EG
8)

franklinstower

Post by franklinstower » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:56 pm

Ended up talking with someone at Moog. He seemed a little confused about it so he pulled out two mothers and set them up exactly as mine were. It is possible to get all of my mothers to track and play the same note and octave but it is not possible to get them to all have the same octave light showing. So one might be at octave two but the other one to play the same note might need to be set as octave 4 or 5, The guy at Moog said it had something to do with the transpose function but it did not make sense to me.

I don't care though as long as I can get them to track. It just seems a little confusing is all.

Golden Void

Post by Golden Void » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:44 pm

franklinstower wrote:Ok so I have done this connection and it is working except for one thing. The master mother 32 is playing one octave higher than the other one even though they are set to the same octave. Any ideas what is going on?
Did this one ever get solved?

I have connected as described and have the same problem - the slave m32 is a different octave form the master?!

Help!

Sub37/32

Post by Sub37/32 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:43 am

Vondragonnoggin wrote:
franklinstower wrote:
Vondragonnoggin wrote:Set the octave indicators the same - lights will be lit up in the same place on octave scale - and press one of the little keys (probably lowest key)

Incidentally thats how you transpose while sequence playing - choose octave and press whichever key in that octave scale you want

How are you patching the second to slave to the first? Are you tempo syncing too?
At present I am not using the sequencer at all -- I play bass in a jam band with my synths. Just using the first ones keyboard to pick notes to play drones in.

But why does one have to be set octaves higher than the other to play at the same octave?

I said set octaves the same, not higher.

If you are playing using external keyboard and you set the sequencer keys octave setting higher than the other and press a key inadvertently on the M32, it will transpose the notes up an octave

Why don't you try this - start both sequencers at the same octave setting (using the octave up/down buttons) and press the first little key on the m32's (lowest note) with tuning set at dead center - forget your external keyboard for a minute. Just try this and tell me if they start playing in the same octave again
I had the same EXACT problem with mine until I did the above. You are correct, the question is why? Using the same keyboard and only changing the volume of the mothers should give you the same sound. Both are on midi channel one, midi to the master, audio out on both mothers and the sub 37, [to a mixer] patch cables are Master KB to 1v/oct [second mother] and gate out [master] to gate in [second mother.] Thank you.