Firmware Patch for Mother-32

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
HookedOnSonics

Firmware Patch for Mother-32

Post by HookedOnSonics » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:24 pm

Real rookie question. If our friends at Moog do find a way via firmware to separate the Mother-32 sequencer from the synth portion of my moms, how does that get installed at our end? Would it be similar to the Voyagers? If it's Laptop/desktop USB to MIDI IN, any suggestion on make/model of USB to MIDI to order? I ask this question because we see them on music distribution sites for 40 or 50 dollars, but then we see them other sites and see six footers for 10, 15, or 20 dollars, sooooooooooo were like, why such a swing in price, is one better then another?

Thanks for any and all FEEDBACK!!!
Moog One - A Poly Menance, SynthWars-The Rise of the Korg Apr2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, Vintage D 2016, Voyager of Sinbad XL, ClaraVox, FoogerFamilyOfSix, 3MothersLikeNoOthers, Kronos II - InstantKarma'sGonnaGetYou, Arp&theOdyssey, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, UniversalAudio&U67, Criklon2, ElektronRytmAvenueMKII

franklinstower

Re: Firmware Patch for Mother-32

Post by franklinstower » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:57 pm

Sorry you aren't getting any replies man-- I haven't been either on my questions.... Noobs :roll: I wish I knew for sure but I think it would be a firmware download like it was with the sub 37 updates. I think I heard reference to that in another thread.

I've got a question for you. I just bought three mother 32's and have one of them out of the box and running. The max volume output is very low compared to my sub 37. I am thinking its normal but it is to quiet to play in a live setting which is very disappointing. Does that sound right to you?

paramnesia

Post by paramnesia » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:26 pm

TLDR edit: use a TS cable...
franklinstower wrote:I just bought three mother 32's and have one of them out of the box and running. The max volume output is very low compared to my sub 37. I am thinking its normal but it is to quiet to play in a live setting which is very disappointing. Does that sound right to you?
For audio out, are you using the eurorack 1/8" output in the patch bay or the rear 1/4" output?
If using the rear adapter, are you using a TS 2-conductor cable or TRS 3-conductor cable?

The Mother32 rear output is auto-sensing between TS & TRS cables.

If you plug a TS cable in, the jack the PCB sends regular unbalanced instrument level audio.

If you plug a TRS cable in, the M32 expects that to be a TRS headphone jack, and sends the same positive signal to both Tip & Ring for Left & Right headphones.

If you plug a TRS cable into the rear M32 jack & plug that into a balanced mixer input you will get polarity cancellation inside the mixer and a low audio output because the mixer expects the Tip & Ring to be in opposite phase, while the M32 is sending Tip & Ring in the same phase for headphones...

Peter Lount on the Mother32 Facebook group has a more detailed explanation here https://www.facebook.com/groups/mother3 ... 600203633/

update - according to google:
Is a TRS cable balanced or unbalanced?
The reason for this is that a TRS cable can carry two audio signals, which gives it the ability to transfer both balanced and stereo audio. When it serves as a balanced audio signal, it is carrying two version of one signal (the normal signal and its polarity inverted form).

More reading http://www.aviom.com/blog/balanced-vs-unbalanced/
Last edited by paramnesia on Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sub37TE V1.2 / 4 X CP-251, 3 x MF-104M, MF-102, MF-107, MF-108M, 4 x Mother32, MP-201
My Eurorack https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/2268669
My Pedal Board https://www.modulargrid.net/p/racks/view/461843

franklinstower

Post by franklinstower » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:50 pm

OK man.

I've only tried the one mother-- haven't unboxed the second, third is shipping.

I'm going straight out the 1/4 inch jack on back of Mother directly into my PA speaker. Nothing in between. I am running balanced cable.

There is a switch on the back of the PA which is for mic's I pushed that activating it for mic's and it helped but still not as loud as the sub 37.

Thanks so much for the reply.

paramnesia

Post by paramnesia » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:00 pm

franklinstower wrote:I'm going straight out the 1/4 inch jack on back of Mother directly into my PA speaker. Nothing in between. I am running balanced cable.
the balanced 1/4" TRS cable may be your problem as described above

try an unbalanced 1/4" TS instrument cable

From the Mother32 Facebook Group:
{Update 20160108: Moog has confirmed that for the Mother-32 a 1/4" TS audio output cable needs to be used to connect to all other gear other than headsets which take a 1/4" TRS cable. They have a circuit that detects a TS or TRS cable and alters the function accordingly. If you experience low volume take out that TRS cable and put in the proper specified TS audio cable. They likely will publish a clarification about this in their next release of the manual. Thanks Moog for the clarification.

An email from engineers at Moog: "The output of the mother-32 is a mono to stereo out, with both unbalanced channels in phase, for headphones. It can also drive an unbalanced line level signal. If you plug a TS cable in to the output one channel is shunted through a resistor to ground, and the other appears at the tip. If you use a TRS cable, and connect to a balanced input, the signal cancels itself out, as a balanced input is differential. The difference between the same thing is zero."
Sub37TE V1.2 / 4 X CP-251, 3 x MF-104M, MF-102, MF-107, MF-108M, 4 x Mother32, MP-201
My Eurorack https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/2268669
My Pedal Board https://www.modulargrid.net/p/racks/view/461843

franklinstower

Post by franklinstower » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:06 pm

That is great man thank you so much. I would never have thought of that. I'll have to return the balanced one I bought and replace it. I am sure that will solve my issues.

franklinstower

Post by franklinstower » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:10 pm

Found an unbalanced cable and tired it. The volume is now at what seems normal. Thanks again.

MacAquinas

Post by MacAquinas » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:30 pm

I had the same problem, the output was so weak that it was the first time I had ever felt disappointed by a Moog. This solves the problem and the sound is what you would expect from Moog and I am happy. Thank you all.
Black Minimoog Voyager XL, Sub37, Slim Phatty, Mother-32, MF-104M SD, MF-105M, MP-201, CP-251, Theremini, Animoog ;-) . Roland Fantom G8 & Integra-7, Korg MS-20

HookedOnSonics

Post by HookedOnSonics » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:15 pm

Is it general practice that Voyagers, Phattys, Subs, Moogers, and Mothers use Audio out TS cables to mixers instead of TRS?
Moog One - A Poly Menance, SynthWars-The Rise of the Korg Apr2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, Vintage D 2016, Voyager of Sinbad XL, ClaraVox, FoogerFamilyOfSix, 3MothersLikeNoOthers, Kronos II - InstantKarma'sGonnaGetYou, Arp&theOdyssey, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, UniversalAudio&U67, Criklon2, ElektronRytmAvenueMKII

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:36 pm

HookedOnSonics wrote:Is it general practice that Voyagers, Phattys, Subs, Moogers, and Mothers use Audio out TS cables to mixers instead of TRS?
It is, since none of them have balanced audio signals. I understand purely analog gear can't have balanced outputs
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

MacAquinas

Post by MacAquinas » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:43 am

I think it is being overlooked that what is different in this jack than on others is that one single jack is a combo stereo-headphone/mono-out and the unexpected behavior may be due to a minor flaw.
Black Minimoog Voyager XL, Sub37, Slim Phatty, Mother-32, MF-104M SD, MF-105M, MP-201, CP-251, Theremini, Animoog ;-) . Roland Fantom G8 & Integra-7, Korg MS-20

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:56 pm

MacAquinas wrote:I think it is being overlooked that what is different in this jack than on others is that one single jack is a combo stereo-headphone/mono-out and the unexpected behavior may be due to a minor flaw.
Not quite correct. The 1/4" out works as a 'Mono to both sides of a headphone with proper phase' OR an unbalanced mono output.

Stephen

klarrrro

Post by klarrrro » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:11 am

Would it be advisable to use 1/4'' TS unbalanced on the Subsequent 37 CV as well ?