Sequencer bug? (gate to run/stop for external control)

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
Tomavatars

Sequencer bug? (gate to run/stop for external control)

Post by Tomavatars » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:28 am

Hey there.

I need to control the sequencer run with a daw or external keyboard.
Best way to do this seems to connect gate to run/stop.
It works well for the triggering of the sequence but there seem to be a bug :

- Notes are doubled, and the transpose is really weird.
- When hitting a note on keyboard (both external or M32 keyboard) it makes a new note between each already written notes in sequencer.
- It can sometimes transpose but with no logic.

Please give it a try to confirm the bug. I creates something interesting but I really need to transpose a sequence normally.
Last edited by Tomavatars on Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tomavatars

Re: Sequencer transpose bug?

Post by Tomavatars » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:44 am

No clues? Does anybody tried this?

Wesley

Post by Wesley » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:40 am

You don't mention MIDI. Is MIDI connected in your patch?

If I use MIDI clock and connect the gate out to run/stop, each note tries to stop the sequence while the MIDI clock tries to restart it. Not good.

I would not connect the gate out to run/stop, as each note you play will start/stop the sequencer. If you are using MIDI clock, it will start and stop the sequencer for you.

You may also have a channel conflict, if MIDI is connected. You should check that too.

I run the Mother with my DAW and have no problems transposing from the DAW.

Tomavatars

Post by Tomavatars » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:41 pm

Hey there.

Thank you for the reply.

I'm using midi. No channel conflict seems to be involved. I will check this a bit further.
The behavior to start the sequencer with a note being played is exactly what I want to do.
I do not want the sequencer to be started on a midi start message but instead on a note on.
I can transpose from the daw, but what I REALLY want to do, is transpose and start sequencer at the same time!

andystyler

Re: Sequencer bug? (gate to run/stop for external control)

Post by andystyler » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:54 am

Out of interest, how are you connected, via midi input through din cable? Are you getting midi notes? I can't seem to get anything through mine, just a start stop signal :(
MacBook Pro Retina 15 2.6ghz 16GB, Mac OS X El Capitan, Logic Pro X, Ableton Live 9, Focusrite Liquid 56, Moog Sub 37, Moog Mother-32, Nord Lead 4, JU-06, JP-08, Bass Station 2, Korg Volca Keys, Maschine Studio.

Tomavatars

Post by Tomavatars » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:53 pm

Yep connected with a midi din, in midi input. I get notes and start stop messages.
But I would like to be able to disable auto start of mother without having to filter the start message from the daw, AND trigger the sequencer from my daw.

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:58 am

Have you tried changing the tempo input behavior as shown on page 50 in the manual?
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

Tomavatars

Post by Tomavatars » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:42 am

I tried many patterns.

The fact is that the note played to trigger the sequence is played after the gate length of a note has end. Meaning that you can trigger a sequence well only if all the notes have gate length set to maximum. Even so, the sequence won't stop if you stop sending note.
So it doesn't work as I would love it to work.

Is there a way to just trigger and transpose patterns with midi without having to start the sequencer with clock?

It seems so obvious to me, that I find the behavior of the mother sequencer very weird.
Please I need to find a way to work like this!